Thread: 180mm Symmar-S Compur Aperture Scale Question

180mm Symmar-S Compur Aperture Scale Question

Hello

I just purchased a 180mm Symmar-S in a Compur 1, but something seems off with the aperture scale. It seems to have the correct large aperture of f5.6, but the scale tops out at f45. The literature lists the smallest size as f64. I'm not sure if this is a difference between the copal and compur shutters. I was wondering if anyone might have a printable aperture scale that I could check against the one on the lens. Any other information beyond what is found in the published literature would be greatly appreciated!

Re: 180mm Symmar-S Compur Aperture Scale Question

I have a 180 mm Symmar-S, serial number 13636397, in a No. 1 Compur shutter. Its smallest marked aperture is f/45 and the aperture lever does not move beyond that.

Comparing the smallest aperture on this shutter with the smallest aperture achievable on one of my No. 1 Copal shutters, the minimum aperture on the Copal is visibly smaller. I think what you have is normal. I've seen other evidence that the No. 1 Copal stopped down all the way gives a smaller aperture than does the No. 1 Compur stopped down all the way.

BTW my aperture sale has what may be a part number on it, in tiny numerals: 4 078 669. Also this is what I think of as a "newish" (but not the last) design of the Compur. It has a nominal top speed of 1/500 compared with 1/400 for the earlier No. 1 Synchro-Compurs, it's actually marked "Compur 1", unlike the early shutters, and it has click-stops.

David
    Last edited by David Lindquist; 30-Jan-2023 at 11:22. Reason: more info

Re: 180mm Symmar-S Compur Aperture Scale Question

David

That sounds exactly like my lens/shutter combination down to the numbering on the aperture scale. Thank you for the confirmation!