Thread: Linhof shelf ware

Linhof shelf ware

Normally I don't put a Linhof totally on the shelf. I like to have ones that are potentially usable. I saw this old Linhof that was advertised as a 4x5 so I bought it for about $150 from Ebay. When it arrived yesterday it turned out to be a 5x7/13x18cm "press" camera. I think is a model 2 Technika at least it look similar to other ones I have seen. It needed a little work: one bent attachment for the back and a seized sliding catch that responded to a drop of gun oil. Two of the screws that tighten the back rods are not functioning correctly, and lastly the front rise doesn't rise (stripped maybe). The serial number on the bed is 4 digits whereas other examples have 6 digit serial numbers.

I do have a couple of other 5x7 cameras and a bunch of film holders and film in the freezer.

I would like to use my lenses mounted in a Master Technika 4x5 board but the boards are too thick.

The camera needs thin boards of about 10.8cm square. I could make a board out of thin aluminum and mount an old 6.8 Symmars (240 and 270) on it.

As it appears to be a Technika 2 does that mean it is from the 1930's and/or 1940's.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0312.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	235045

Name:	IMG_0309.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	235046

Name:	IMG_0311.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	235047

Name:	IMG_0310.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	235048

Re: Linhof shelf ware

I have one like in perfect condition

My bellows are exquisite thin leather

Your viewing hood looks small

Search for older threads as mine and others are documented

Mine came with a Tennessee Deardorff lens adaptor to modern Technika lens boards
    Tin Can

Add your serial number to this thread and you should get the year the camera was manufactured. I have the Supertechnika V and really get a lot of enjoyment from it. I love the 5x7 format.

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...Serial-Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Robinson View Post
    Add your serial number to this thread and you should get the year the camera was manufactured. I have the Supertechnika V and really get a lot of enjoyment from it. I love the 5x7 format.

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...Serial-Numbers
    Here is the serial number:

Name:	IMG_0313.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	125.7 KB 
ID:	235049

Quote Originally Posted by linhofbiker View Post
    Normally I don't put a Linhof totally on the shelf. I like to have ones that are potentially usable. I saw this old Linhof that was advertised as a 4x5 so I bought it for about $150 from Ebay. When it arrived yesterday it turned out to be a 5x7/13x18cm "press" camera. I think is a model 2 Technika at least it look similar to other ones I have seen. It needed a little work: one bent attachment for the back and a seized sliding catch that responded to a drop of gun oil. Two of the screws that tighten the back rods are not functioning correctly, and lastly the front rise doesn't rise (stripped maybe). The serial number on the bed is 4 digits whereas other examples have 6 digit serial numbers.

I do have a couple of other 5x7 cameras and a bunch of film holders and film in the freezer.

I would like to use my lenses mounted in a Master Technika 4x5 board but the boards are too thick.

The camera needs thin boards of about 10.8cm square. I could make a board out of thin aluminum and mount an old 6.8 Symmars (240 and 270) on it.

As it appears to be a Technika 2 does that mean it is from the 1930's and/or 1940's.
    That is great!

The 13x18 Technika II is nearly identical to the wartime 13x18 cameras with the exception of the metal stripes running down the front of the box and the use of brads to secure the strut arms to the bed rather than screws. In the very final ones we see the screw that is at the center base of the front standard moved to the far right.

The Technika II arrived sometime near the end of WWII 1944-45ish and continued after the war (1945) in 9x12 & 13x18 only (maybe 18x24 but these were super rare and only special order) The 9x12 was quickly replaced with the Technika III in 1946, but the 13x18 Technika II was made until the 13x18/5x7 Technika III arrived in 1950.

This camera takes 13x18 thin metal plateholders... for glass plates... the plateholders can accept 13x18 film sheathes for use with sheet film. 13x18 plateholders can be found for sale in Europe but are scarce in the USA. Try to find ones with film sheaths already present as 13x18 sheaths are harder to find on their own.
    13x18 film will have to be sourced from Europe, 13x18 glass plates are available in the USA, have an ISO of around 8, can be processed the same as sheet film, are lots of fun and look really great.

The back of the Technika II does not have quick release latches like the III but can be easily removed by removing the screws holding the flanges in the same spot as a III latch. I recommend you do this and clean the rings and add a little lube. Unfortunately the II is a bit smaller than the III, IV, V which can all share backs. A 5x7 back won't fit, I have not seen one but an adapter could be made to accept a 5x7 back.

The lensboards are hard to find but sometimes you can find one on a lens. 210mm Tessar & Xenar lenses were common and the high end Lens was the Hugo Meyer Dopple plasmat and Tele-Megor. It should be easy to make your own lensboard and you can easily make an adapter for the 4x5 Technika boards.

I have a wartime 9x12 that is nearly the same. On mine the rise is stripped where it begins but if you pull up on the standard a little it will catch and then be moveable with the geared rise knob. The rear locking knobs are filled with solidified grease and need to be removed via a setscrew on the base of the knob, parts degreased and re-lubed.

I have had lots of fun with mine!

Also very lightweight!
    Tin Can

Looks like my 5x7 (13x18cm) will remain shelf ware for the time being because of no film holders or lens boards. Although the lens board situation could be solved with a 4 1/4" square piece of aluminum that has the mounting hardware for Technika V 6x9 boards. I have a few lenses that cover 5x7 and they could be mounted in Technika V 6x9 boards. Oh well I will have to be content to use the 5x7 Kardan Bi but it would be nice to drop the Technika II with one lens into a backpack.

you can get the hardware here (or DIY) to make an adapter board for 23 or 45 to 57...
    https://www.linhofstudio.com/product...ter_Panel_Sets

Quote Originally Posted by Embdude View Post
    you can get the hardware here (or DIY) to make an adapter board for 23 or 45 to 57...
    https://www.linhofstudio.com/product...ter_Panel_Sets
    I hope to drop by Paula in Leigh-on-Sea this Mar/Apr. I also need the things that fit inside the quick release (the red ones) so the cable release will work correctly, I seem to have "lost" them.