Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1963 Expired Panatomic-X 4x5 Film!

Re: 1963 Expired Panatomic-X 4x5 Film!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Tech Pan was especially stable. Dunno what I'm gonna do with all my 8x10 sheets of it. ...
    Both the Tech Pan and the 4125 can be very useful to nuts like me for low to normal contrast situations that I wish to create a high contrast in-camera negative.

I used the (4x5) 4125 (Professional Copy Film) this summer in the Redwoods. Not the best film for sun-lit conditions. As Drew mentioned, the highlights can start taking a hike clear out of sight before you know it. The difference between one stop exposure can create a whole different relationship between low and high values (not always wanted). Its own special rule is to expose for the highlights and develop for the shadows. Love the stuff. I find the Tech Pan is a little more versitile for landscape than the Copy Film.

A 4x5 carbon print. Island Rock, Redwood Creek, 2012, Redwood National Park
    4x5 Kodak Tech Pan film (ASA 25) developed in D-76 1:1.
    Film exposed and developed 2012. First printing, 2022.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IslandRk3.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Re: 1963 Expired Panatomic-X 4x5 Film!

Drew, I suggest selling both your Tech Pan and Pan-X films. Lots of rubes out there who go bonkers for old junk, especially those two because they have the coolest names.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Tech Pan was especially stable. Dunno what I'm gonna do with all my 8x10 sheets of it. Bought em for very high contrast pan highlight masking purposes, so way more versatile than regular ortho-litho. But now that I shoot mostly color neg film instead of chromes, no longer need it, that is, unless I ever find the time to seriously get into dye transfer printing, which is getting more an more unlikely due to finding high-quality competing options for printing color in the darkroom. I used 4x5 and 120 Tech Pan for forensic art sleuthing copy stand purposes as well as photo restoration techniquea back before those tasks mainly went over to digital. It's always been a so-so, or very so-so pictorial film, and was named "Technical" for a reason.

The last official black and white Copy Film (4X5) I tried was already outdated so much that it sometimes reticulated and frilled off its base sheet during processing. But I got a few good snowshoeing shots anyway.