Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: On-line group critique thread ideas?

Re: On-line group critique thread ideas?

Ok

Look left at my Avatar, designed in studio to emulate MY impression of Nuclear explosion

NOT ART

a warning

Please critique in any manner possible

4x5 neg reversed with 5X7, enlarged to 11X14 and reversed again on paper

Looked at it for a year before the last and final reversal

DIGI reduction from scan to fit the LFPF parameters
    Tin Can

I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Ok

Look left at my Avatar, designed in studio to emulate MY impression of Nuclear explosion

NOT ART

a warning

Lol
    Tin Can

Previously posted... what is "art"_?_...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	colors of the day.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	22.7 KB 
ID:	235069

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Ok

NOT ART

a warning

I spent a ton of money and exactly 2 years in ARTIC Grad program

I studied SAIC rule book and found the best way in was 'Live Art' aka Performance Art. I already was doing it for decades as wild in the streets.

My chief advisor, a German, got a 100% free ride in UK EU long ago, a Pro Performer! my age

Let me add I was working full time nights at a huge factory testing engines, I ran the 6 Bay Dyno rooms 3 to midnight. Then 2 hours of Jagermeister with beer put me to sleep. Up at 7, in class at 9am

SAIC is primarily discussion and destruction of ego. Male ego at the time.

Most fun of my life!

I am an excitable guy

This fits me

"“I am an excitable person who only understands life lyrically, musically, in whom feelings are much stronger as reason. I am so thirsty for the marvelous that only the marvelous has power over me. Anything I can not transform into something marvelous, I let go. Reality doesn't impress me. I only believe in intoxication, in ecstasy, and when ordinary life shackles me, I escape, one way or another. No more walls.”

― Anais Nin

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post

Bernice
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post

Bernice
    In your picture, Bernice, I see reflection, refraction, transmission, absorption, and diffraction. And artistic vision.

That is to say, I like it.
    Where are we going?
    And why are we in this handbasket?

www.josephoharaphotography.com

Quote Originally Posted by bmikiten View Post
    Current and future artists who want to compare their own journey and offer notes to those who may be less advanced. Exploring other people's work allows us to refine our own or internally verify our own paths. This can range from standard or alternative processes, film and chemistry then to the actual printing process and visualization. Sometimes it lets us just look at the world through another person's eyes and use that for inspiration. Sometimes it helps others look at their own work through other's eyes.
    I highlighted a bit on your response as it expresses the kind of subject matter you seem to be expecting when it comes to critique. These are mostly technical issues, which IMO would just as well be discussed in a Q&A fashion as is already done on several forums.

Critique would be mostly interesting, in my view, when it comes to the impact of an image, its philosophical background, the message it intends to convey and/or emotional response it intends to conjure up, etc. My reservations with critique in those directions on an internet forum is that it would be rather novel to see anything truly profound being exchanged along those lines, which brings the question if it fits the demographic. When thinking it through some more, I arrive at similar concerns as expressed by Bernice, although I'm not necessarily pessimistic when it comes to a spiral towards uniformity. However, a desire for diversity to remain possible and actively being encouraged, while at the same time exchanging critique that nurtures such development and not just merely improvement on a technical level, will result in a rather high bar for the kinds of thoughts being expressed and the way they are formulated. A more interactive ('live') approach would make more sense, and I suspect it would also have to be fairly rich in supporting one's arguments with background reasoning or existing literature.

I personally have some doubts about the usefulness of remarks like "I'd have burned that corner a bit more". Such comments always leave me wondering how they really aid further development. Should corners always be burned? Should structures at a certain distance of a frame edge always be cropped in a certain way? Surely not, but if so, what's one to do with the comments made?

In their worst incarnation, critique threads spiral down into emphasizing the not so magnificent sides of human nature that we're all, to varying extents, liable to.

I'm sorry for not sounding optimistic. I find the idea in itself appealing and relevant, but have concerns about how it'll pan out in practice. Which is not to say it shouldn't be tried. By all means, please do!

Before ART Grad school

A person I respect told me

'You are ready to Graduate when you throw your advisors/critics/tutors/peers out of your studio'
    Tin Can

In physical medicine, there is wisdom in an old adage that says, treat the patient, not the disease. The potential advantage of critique in an instructional setting, including a workshop, may lie significantly, it seems to me, in the insight of the teacher into the personality, intellect, and emotional make-up of the individual student. In some circumstances, usually further along in the educational process, the student selects the teacher with his or her artistry and teaching ability in mind.

A critique thread is a more open-ended proposition in this respect, with comments potentially coming from all sorts of corners for all sorts of reasons, not all equally valuable to the the creator. I don't think this invalidates the idea at all, and I think some of the early comments respecting guidelines for comment are to the point. The range of interests, styles, approaches, and techniques shown here, and the outlooks, philosophies, and assumptions behind their creation, vary widely, to say the least; as a Britisher might say, some (or many) are not my (or someone else's) cup of tea. If abstract color work is my passion or current domain of exploration, I'm not likely to find it particularly useful to have someone who finds B&W commercial tabletop work the apex of photographic achievement commenting that my work is just sloppy and meaningless -- and vice-versa. It's not quite a matter of "If you don't have anything nice to say..."; rather, it's a question of what may, in good faith, be said constructively to the benefit of the creator.

This forum, many of us feel, is one of the best places on the web to enrich our knowledge of LF photography, see others' work, and show and talk about our work, thanks to the community it attracts and the practices of the moderators (no easy job).

Recognizing, then, that this is not a school setting; that there is not a teacher in that sense; and that comments may come from all over the map, including occasionally from those impelled to comment from viewpoints that may not be coherent with one's outlook, any of us who so choose may then submit one or more of our creations to critique, hoping that something may be gained. Why not?
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

I used to be more optimistic about the usefulness of online critique, but my experience has been that it's usually not helpful, and it's often harmful. In my view the best way to help someone is to show them a work that they like better than their own work....So, show, don't tell.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know