Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: On-line group critique thread ideas?

Re: On-line group critique thread ideas?

A bit too cynical and condescending

A couple years ago too many offered expensive in person, small classes

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    Generally speaking, aside from some technical matters, critiques, portfolio reviews, masterclasses etc. make little if any difference. There are exceptions here and there though. For example someone good but unsure, or working in a vacuum might benefit from either the social interaction or perhaps the encouragement of an artist he/she admires.
    Tin Can

There’s no condescension in my statement. It’s not cynical either, but thanks for playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    A bit too cynical and condescending

A couple years ago too many offered expensive in person, small classes

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Bruce, Very good points. So, how do we critique a forum posting? After all, this is not a class for future professionals nor a class in ICP. We're not presenting to Greenburg Galleries even if we have dreams of doing just that. We're just hobbyists for the most part trying to become a little bit better and sharing our work with each other and with regular outsiders. Getting technical details on how to focus better is valuable. I'm not attending a class and I depend on "instructors" here in the forums. Early on when I first started, another large format photographer met with me personally for a day on a photo shoot to show me the ropes. That was wonderful of him. But I still have a awful lot to learn. Also from an artistic expression standpoint, getting views from other amateurs is not worthless since for most of us that's the only people who will be looking at our work. What may be banal to the expert may be just fine to the average viewer.

So, what would you expect to get out of critiquing here for the average photographer? What would be your standards for the critique? What would you recommend we should be assessing? Thanks.

I've outlined my thoughts above - these principals are the same regardless of status - they apply to amateurs as well as professionals. If you are unwilling to go beyond the boundaries of this forum, and unwilling to share more than a superficial reason for choosing what, and why you photograph, you will never learn much about artistic expression.
    http://brucekatzphoto.com

Original join date 2008...

Quote Originally Posted by bdkphoto View Post
    I've outlined my thoughts above - these principals are the same regardless of status - they apply to amateurs as well as professionals. If you are unwilling to go beyond the boundaries of this forum, and unwilling to share more than a superficial reason for choosing what, and why you photograph, you will never learn much about artistic expression.
    Do we have to take a course to see beauty?

All back to the definition of "beauty".... What might it be_?_

That ol'e "Beauty is in the EyE of the beholder" absolutely applies here.. this directly connected to why critique is often more projection of an individuals personality, who they might be, what their preferences might-are, and more.

Can an individual be "schooled" or "educated" in what is defined as beauty, sure.. keep this image in mind...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Indoctronate_E. school.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	235348

Another way, simply accept and enjoy the images crated by members of the human family for what they are.. instead of imposing critique with the goal or intent of conformance of what some _._._._._ has "defined" as "acceptable"..

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Do we have to take a course to see beauty?
    Quote Originally Posted by bdkphoto View Post

One person's MEH is another person's WOW. Very subjective IMO.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Perfect answer Bernice!

A great difficulty with art which easily encompasses entire photography era

is creative failure by emulation

what is new under our Sun

art is mark...

I prefer spoken story, never recorded

acting

I call them Bar Stories, told when I was sober, 3 quick shots in

each told quickly, designed for a lost soul

vaporware

in response my local bar honored me with chalk drawing

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    All back to the definition of "beauty".... What might it be_?_

That ol'e "Beauty is in the EyE of the beholder" absolutely applies here.. this directly connected to why critique is often more projection of an individuals personality, who they might be, what their preferences might-are, and more.

Can an individual be "schooled" or "educated" in what is defined as beauty, sure.. keep this image in mind...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Indoctronate_E. school.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	235348

Another way, simply accept and enjoy the images crated by members of the human family for what they are.. instead of imposing critique with the goal or intent of conformance of what some _._._._._ has "defined" as "acceptable"..

Bernice
    Tin Can