Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Focusing loupe - which one do you recommend

Focusing loupe - which one do you recommend

First of all - what magnification? Most common are 4x and I have one of them (plastic and cheap), but maybe stronger one would be more precise?

Which model is recommended - I'd rather go for a new one. It should be sturdy, housing made of metal and lens made of glass, GG friendly, good quality optics. I do not need diopter adjustment as I wear contact lenses. I was considering Silvestri - either 4x or 6x. Are they OK?

Re: Focusing loupe - which one do you recommend

Get the kind that won't scratch the ground glass. PS what are you using it for? what camera?

Sinar - got fresnel, so it won't scratch the GG.

I prefer a pair of magnifying glasses because they allow me to easily see the gg (old eyes!) while composing and keeps my hands free to manipulate the camera, and then to focus. No idea what power mine are, but I'd guess around 4 - 6X.

Quote Originally Posted by kal800 View Post
    First of all - what magnification? Most common are 4x and I have one of them (plastic and cheap), but maybe stronger one would be more precise?

Which model is recommended - I'd rather go for a new one. It should be sturdy, housing made of metal and lens made of glass, GG friendly, good quality optics. I do not need diopter adjustment as I wear contact lenses. I was considering Silvestri - either 4x or 6x. Are they OK?
    Of course you need an adjustable one. Otherwise you cant focus it on the grain side of your gg.

4x typically proves not quite enough magnification. 7x is better. Previously loupe discussion on LFF:
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...Focusing-loupe

Been using the Horseman/Calumet/Peak 7x for decades after trying and using many, many many loupes..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Horseman 7x loupe.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	235015

Hint, the fresnel lens is not always helpful viewing aid. The lines of the fresnel lens can hinder critical focus and if a wide angle lens is used, the fresnel can produce a double image and reduced light at the edges of the GG. This is why the Sinar fresnel is so easy to remove/install as needed.

Bernice

There are myriad opinions and personal approaches to ground-glass magnifiers; loupes with and without opaque skirts and tilting capabilities, free-held magnifiers, clip-on loupes for your glasses, strong magnifying glasses, 4x, 6x, 8x, 10x, etc., etc. All of these will work; it boils down to personal preference and situation.

A couple of things to be aware of though: with short-focal-length lenses, it is often difficult to see into the corners of the image with a skirted loupe that doesn't tilt. Tilting loupes with skirts are nice, but pricey. Using a free-held magnifier solves the problem but introduces another; you have to move the magnifier back and forth to find the right distance from the frosted side of the ground glass for focusing. This gets pretty easy with practice, however, so don't shy away from this option. Personally, I use a 5x-6x free-held magnifier.

Using high-powered magnifiers in the 8x-10x range seems to bother some, especially in conjunction with Fresnel screens. The Fresnel lines or a course grind on the ground glass can be distracting at high magnification (I've used 8x loupes with zero problems, though, even with Fresnel screens).

Some use 4-5 diopter reading glasses and have done with it, not needing more magnification for critical focus. I find that I need more magnification than that.

Another issue that doesn't get addressed often is general viewing of the ground glass for composing, etc. (i.e., not critical focusing). If you're far-sighted or suffering from presbyopia (which we all will at some point), finding a comfortable working distance from the ground glass can be a problem. This is where reading glasses come in handy for me. I use 3-diopter reading glasses to get me closer to the ground glass for general viewing; it helps me keep the dark cloth around my head better and lets me get close enough to see details. Still, for critical focusing, I use the 6x magnifier (with or without the reading glasses - it doesn't seem to make a difference).

Hope this helps,

Doremus

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Been using the Horseman/Calumet/Peak 7x for decades after trying and using many, many many loupes..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Horseman 7x loupe.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	235015

Bernice
    Add another name to the list -- that is exactly the same as my Wista 7X loupe, too. I had no idea it was available under so many labels.

The Peak 1975 is the same glass as the Horseman and much cheaper. https://www.peakoptics.com/index.php...products_id=10 It only comes with a transparent base, but that hasn't been a problem for my use. I suppose you could paint the base or add some black tape around it.

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    Add another name to the list -- that is exactly the same as my Wista 7X loupe, too. I had no idea it was available under so many labels.
    I have the same loupe but it's Nikon branded!