Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ilex #5 Universal Synchro Shutter issue (Kodak)

Ilex #5 Universal Synchro Shutter issue (Kodak)

Hello all,

So I bought a new lens
    It's a 14" Commercial Ektar in the shutter mentioned above, in lovely shape.

Previous owner said the shutter was serviced and is working perfectly.

Well, almost..

1)
    everything is fine and all speeds (apart from 1 sec sometimes) sound accurate and strong as long as the lens and lensboard are in vertical position. When the lens is pointed at the ceiling or at the floor, however, all speeds become a painfully slow mess, the shutter blades take ages to open up and close down, as if they were doing everything in slow motion. Turn the lens back so that the barrel is parallel to the ground and it works perfectly again.

2)
    I also noticed that the viewing lever is a bit funny, at least I think so - never had any other lens an ilex shutter before. Opening is fine, the blades quickly pop open, but when shutting it close it seems like they only fall back to position thanks to gravity. The lever itself goes back into closed position without encountering any resistance indeed, as if it was disengaged.

3)
    Me thinks something's off. xD

Any advice is much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Balazs

Re: Ilex #5 Universal Synchro Shutter issue (Kodak)

It sounds like time for a CLA.
    Carol at Flutot's CLA'd an Ilex Acme #3 for me and it still works great ~3 years later.
    Others may have other recommendations.

Thanks Dugan,

I expressed my disappointedness to the seller and consider sending it off to get cla'd - once I get compensated. I also asked him who serviced the shutter, as I definitely want to avoid sending it back that way.
    I live in Europe, but if I can't find anyone closeby, I might consider Flutot's.

If the shutter for this Ektar is shipped for service, seriously consider shipping only the shutter without the Ektar lens cells with proper protection for the shutter during the abusive shipping process. This way, the Ektar lens cells will not endure the abuse of shipping and great risk of damage to the lens cells due to the shipping process.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Balazs Szabo View Post
    Thanks Dugan,

I expressed my disappointedness to the seller and consider sending it off to get cla'd - once I get compensated. I also asked him who serviced the shutter, as I definitely want to avoid sending it back that way.
    I live in Europe, but if I can't find anyone closeby, I might consider Flutot's.

Considering it will likely go to the US for service, this is seems like a very good bit of advice. Will definitely do so.

Thank you very much ��

An Ilex No.5 shutter is not a complex device. Have a look at skgrimes.com; they no longer service shutters, but used to have a page about them with illustrations.
    If you know of a camera repair service in Italy, they may be able to fix your shutter without international shipping.
    By the way, you've made a fine choice of lenses. Best of luck!

I've got a couple of No. 5 Universals and I don't recollect any of mine ever being position sensitive.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    I've got a couple of No. 5 Universals and I don't recollect any of mine ever being position sensitive.
    No, I don't think it's normal for any shutter to be sensitive to being pointed up or down. ��

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    An Ilex No.5 shutter is not a complex device. Have a look at skgrimes.com; they no longer service shutters, but used to have a page about them with illustrations.
    If you know of a camera repair service in Italy, they may be able to fix your shutter without international shipping.
    By the way, you've made a fine choice of lenses. Best of luck!
    Yes, I heard they are considered reliable and easy to service.
    I'd prefer having it serviced here in Italy.

Quote Originally Posted by Balazs Szabo View Post
    Hello all,

So I bought a new lens
    It's a 14" Commercial Ektar in the shutter mentioned above, in lovely shape.

Previous owner said the shutter was serviced and is working perfectly.
    Balazs
    If the seller stated that it was "serviced and is working perfectly", and yet does not function correctly when aimed up or down, then it has NOT been properly serviced and is certainly not "working perfectly". You've been lied to. If I had made such a purchase I would be very quick to request a refund and send it back.