Thread: Old Darkroom Paper - Testing, Developing, Light Sensitivity Q's

Old Darkroom Paper - Testing, Developing, Light Sensitivity Q's

Hi all,

I recently came into some sealed packs of old darkroom paper. I'm practiced and comfortable working with modern papers, but I've never used expired paper before. So I have a few questions.

1). First I want to test the paper's sensitivity as well as for any fogging. My plan is to cut three small strips of paper. I'll put one directly into fixer, which should give me a paper base. I'll put one directly into developer and then fixer, etc, which should show me how fogged or "exposed" the paper is after all these years. And then I'll expose the last strip to direct light, then develop it, and that should tell me the dmax. I'm hoping this'll give me a good starting point and show me what I have to work with. Does all of this sound correct?

2) Once I start making the actual prints, f I can't find any information about the old paper online or any info in the packaging sheets, is there a standard for developing older papers? The darkroom I use buys dev chems in bulk. Our general rule of thumb is to dev modern Ilford RC papers for 1 min. Wondering how I might go about finding a starting point for a vintage paper RC paper.

3) Similarly, if I can't find any information about the old paper online or any info sheets in the packaging, what kind of lights should I assume old paper can be used with? I believe my darkroom has amber lights. Is this considered a generally safe light source for darkroom papers? Or do vintage papers have varying sensitivities? Obviously I don't want to ruin the paper just by opening it in the wrong conditions.

Thanks very much for any info and advice.

Huub

Re: Old Darkroom Paper - Testing, Developing, Light Sensitivity Q's

Not sure if it does make much sense to look for the datasheets and such on the net. Aging influences both speed and contrast, making any data sheet more or less useless.

The first test to do is to develop a blanc test strip and look for fogging. When the paper turns out grey, it probably is only suited for lith printing. When there is just a hunch of grey, adding fog restrainer to the developer might do the trick, sometimes in combination with bleaching back the highlights. And when it comes to developing time: keep it as short as possible, as longer times in the developer might add to the fog. Using a stronger dillution and higher temperatures might help to that. About the colour of the safelights: try with what there is, tho some papers might prefer red lights over amber lights. But then: the only way to find that out is switch the colour of the lights .

And when the paper still seems ok: go ahead and make teststrips and print as good as you can. My personal experiences with old paper is mixed. About half it is so badly fogged that i generally throw it away, the other half is still usuable. When it is only a few sheets i use it for contact prints. Only when i do have a decent stash i do testing for my stop clock so i can use it comfortably.

Old and somewhat fogged paper can sometimes be used as in camera negatives. Badly fogged paper can be fixed out and used with alt processes. When you are making your fog tests get some potassium bromide and benzotriazole to add to your developer. Both are fog reducers. KBr tends to warm and benzo tends to cool.

Nicholas O. Lindan

If the paper is fogged you might be able to reduce the fog by adding 1/2 teaspoon of P. Bromide to a liter of print developer. The amount is about as non-critical as it gets - add to taste. A dash of P. Bromide can quite often improve highlights even without fogged paper; it will also impart a slightly warmer tone to the print. An alternative anti-foggant is Benzotriazole, but this is somewhat pricey stuff and your community darkroom may not stock it.

I keep a bottle of 10% P. Bromide solution handy.
    Darkroom Automation / Cleveland Engineering Design, LLC
    f-Stop Timers & Enlarging meters http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Thank you for the responses so far, this is all very helpful.

And @Huub and others, I should have mentioned that I intend to use these papers for lith printing, which I suppose changes how the results of my initial tests will affect (or not) the papers' usability. I haven't used old papers before, but I thought it would be a fun project to try lithing these ones.

How long does Polycontrast last? Panalure Select? I have some of both, maybe 25 years old, properly stored.

Quote Originally Posted by AidanAvery View Post
    I should have mentioned that I intend to use these papers for lith printing, which I suppose changes how the results of my initial tests will affect (or not) the papers' usability. I haven't used old papers before, but I thought it would be a fun project to try lithing these ones.
    That changes things, and probably helps. What also might help is if you tell us what you know about the paper, instead of us guessing.

FYI, when you do your FOG TEST, do not add any anti-fogger. That will hide the problem -- if there is one -- instead of telling you how bad it might be.