Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Harrison VS BTZS for 4x5

Re: Harrison VS BTZS for 4x5

Here's a nice video comparing the two types. Maybe I've been using my Harrison wrong as the video shows it around the front of the camera and not around the rear standard as I use. Also, I have asymmetrical adjustments with the rear standard which may make it more difficult to use in the back. I'll have to try the video's method.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbEsE06g0oM

The BTZS hood was developed to be as small and light as possible. When I owned Darkroom Innovations, Phil and I did 5 revisions of the design with our wives sewing them up so they could be tested. (I still have the first prototypes around here). The big issue we were trying to solve was the problem with large darkcloths hitting the bellows, disturbing focus and also just being terribly hot. Fred Newman at the View Camera Store is the man for this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    I have the Harrison silver/black small size for my 4x5. It is light and folds up around the camera for added protection when transporting the camera case. However, I don't like the Velcro to close it up around the camera. It's just a pain to get it right and adjust it. It's difficult to close up effectively and then opens at the wrong time. Too fiddly.

I would think a dark cloth with a full 100% elastic end that goes around the back standard should be better. I tried the heavy black T-shirt approach but it blew around too much in the wind. Let us know how you like the one you ordered. Maybe I'll get one.
    Thanks Alan

I ordered the BTZS so will see. I agree though. Having it hold the back is way less fiddly. I also just hate velcro in general. Maybe i will make my own at some point. The wife is in textiles and design so who knows. Might be my thing hahah

I live in South Florida and photograph in the Everglades and Big Cypress a lot. I really would not like it if some mosquitoes, or worse, get trapped in a BTZS hood. I think I would panic and kill myself trying to escape

Quote Originally Posted by rudyumans View Post
    I live in South Florida and photograph in the Everglades and Big Cypress a lot. I really would not like it if some mosquitoes, or worse, get trapped in a BTZS hood. I think I would panic and kill myself trying to escape
    It could be worse. It might be an alligator.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    It could be worse. It might be an alligator.
    could be. Alligators are easier to handle than mosquitoes or biting flies

Anyway, I use Wanderer dark cloths. A regular one and a extra lightweight one for when it's hot. Love them both

I use a BTZS hood on my 4x5. Works for me. There may be something "better", but I have no reason to look for something else.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!