Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ground glass replacement

Ground glass replacement

Hi all…I had a small accident, dropped by Sinar GG carrier, and broke the glass. I have taped it together, and it works…but I want to replace it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sinar-x-back.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	234886

I have looked though the archives, and followed up on the recommendations…but all the recommended suppliers seem to have gone out of business. Snow, Maxwell don’t seem to be available anymore. And Maxwell was expensive…cost about what I paid for my Sinar X, would be out of my affordability range anyway. Perhaps the Rick Oleson one, which apparently is still available...at least the site works.

Any other recommendations for a replacement? Anyone used and can recommend one of the Chinese makers on eBay? Like those made by Proscope with frosted glass, cut corners, and marked with grids and the asymmetrical swing/tilt lines for the Sinar. Priced at about $35. Are they any good? I measured my broken GG and the dimensions look proper, including the 2mm thickness.

Appreciate recommendations. Thanks.
    Peter Chong
    Singapore

Re: Ground glass replacement

The Proscope sounds like a good deal. Otherwise, make your own.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Replace the broken GG with an OEM Sinar GG. The ruling and dotted lines on the GG indicate the swing/tilt axis. Without these dotted lines using the asymmetrical swing/tilts on the Sinar X becomes iffy.

The supply of OEM Sinar GG is long gone due to demand from folks ... breaking the GG..

To get another OEM Sinar GG, find a good used Sinar rear frame with GG or rear standard with GG. Sinar used the same GG across their camera offerings. Long as the GG has the dotted lines and the clipped corners are used to verify lens coverage of the image area. GG from a good used Sinar rear will be a direct replacement. They do appear on eBay and ...
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/37438809619...Bk9SR_7YrIG8YQ

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15510603981...Bk9SR8LLzIG8YQ

~DO NOT try washing the OEM Sinar GG with water.. this will literally float the printed screen off the GG.. Brush it off gently, then install.~

Do get or make a GG protector if the camera is transported to prevent this from happening again.. This is not a lot more than a board of thin plywood or fiber board cut to fit the rear GG frame exterior. The board is held on by the lock slide used to secure accessories like the reflex viewer, bellows or etc..

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by pchong View Post
    Hi all…I had a small accident, dropped by Sinar GG carrier, and broke the glass. I have taped it together, and it works…but I want to replace it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sinar-x-back.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	234886

I have looked though the archives, and followed up on the recommendations…but all the recommended suppliers seem to have gone out of business. Snow, Maxwell don’t seem to be available anymore. And Maxwell was expensive…cost about what I paid for my Sinar X, would be out of my affordability range anyway. Perhaps the Rick Oleson one, which apparently is still available...at least the site works.

Any other recommendations for a replacement? Anyone used and can recommend one of the Chinese makers on eBay? Like those made by Proscope with frosted glass, cut corners, and marked with grids and the asymmetrical swing/tilt lines for the Sinar. Priced at about $35. Are they any good? I measured my broken GG and the dimensions look proper, including the 2mm thickness.

Appreciate recommendations. Thanks.

If you have a blank ground glass and want to add Sinar use lines, use a pencil to make the Sinar lines on the ground glass side of a ground glass. I used dashed lines. Take some measurements from your broken screen. It's not hard.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

A light and effective ground glass protector can be made from a suitably sized sheet of the plastic cardboard often used for inexpensive political signs. It's rigid and pretty tough. Amazon also sells packs of it, though more expensively than the cost to sign shops.

Thanks for the suggestions for a ground glass protector. I have a Sinar plastic fresnel glass which I keep over the glass for protection. Good enough as a protector? I am not sure. I broke the glass because I dropped the holder to the concrete floor while attempting to switch from landscape to portrait orientation. Yea, butter fingers. The fresnel was on the back then, and the glass broke anyway. Water under the bridge...and I will consider a protector with the new glass.

I am tempted to make my own ground glass...B.S. Kumar whom I bought a lens and a lens board from told me that large format is also about DIY, while he was encouraging me to mount the lens on the board myself. Which I did, and am glad I did. So I agree...but I am also tempted to just buy a replacement as they are not very expensive (safe the Maxwell). The maker of Fasquel 8x10 camera offers an unmarked, hand ground glass with clipped corners for a very reasonable price, as do the Chinese makers. More or less the same price, but Fasquel will not mark the glass with lines, and the Chinese ones are pre-ruled. I might just buy one of those. And still attempt to DIY.

Thanks for all the responses. Appreciate it.
    Peter Chong
    Singapore

I own a lot of 4x5 Sinars, if it were me, I'd replace with OEM original Sinar glass. One and done

If you drop the screen carrier onto a concrete floor, having a plastic protector will not do you much good, as you have already found out.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Not all 4X5 or larger GG are the same size

and will not fit
    Tin Can

Yes, thanks. Am aware of that...hopefully this is mitigated by the custom for Sinar 4x5 glass by both the mentioned suppliers. Of course, mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Not all 4X5 or larger GG are the same size

and will not fit
    Peter Chong
    Singapore

Hey, Raphaël from Fasquel. Let me know if you need a custom size ground glass. Winter time means a lot of time in the workshop so it will be a pleasure to make you a custom ground glass!

Take care,
    Raphaël