Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of getting a 4x5 enlarger - thoughts vs scanning

Re: Thinking of getting a 4x5 enlarger - thoughts vs scanning

If your local source falls through I have a few Omega D5 chassis in the attic of my garage, and I believe a condenser head, if you are interested in a trip to southern NH.

Bathrooms can make excellent darkrooms. Really.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

You haven't been in some the the bathrooms I have been in.

What does your wife say about using her bathroom?

Les

Just spotted (listing) Omega DII not far from here for $300 (CDN).....but traveling across the country for it makes no sense.

**Disclaimer**....have no connection with the sale of this unit.
    Les

On occasion I noticed there is real life outside the GG/viewfinder.

I think my estimates are pretty reasonable.

My shed cost $2,000 but it's insulated fiberglass and air-conditioned. I rent and have roommates so a bathroom darkroom is not feasible. My shed is on land I own but I don't live there yet. If I can get all of my equipment for $500 (fingers crossed), I still need something like a solar generator to run the AC, the enlarger light, ventilation and water pump. That puts me up near $4,000 although most of it is cost already sunk in to my shed and for power to run it.

If I had a spare room or usable bathroom, I might be able to set up for far less than $2,000 but a spare room or usable bathroom is an expense you pay for also.

If I had $10,000 to spend I would be able to get a nice scan and print setup, maybe even a 48" printer to do 48x60" prints but I don't think I would enjoy it very much. Every time I've tried editing software in the last 25 years it has been a painful experience even though I'm pretty computer literate (worked in tech 15+ years using software on Solaris and Linux systems).

So if I had that $10,000, I would probably still build a budget darkroom in my shed and spend the other $5-6,000 on fun stuff.

Of course building a whole shed and powering with solar will be the bulk of the expense. My first enlarger, along with enough accessories to start printing 4x5, was $350 from a member on this forum. I don't think enlarger and related gear have gone up much, it's just whether or not you can find anything somewhat local.

I have 2 enlargers in my basement that I've been trying to give away for months, along with lots of accessories. Two folks have just been flaky about picking up.

I don't think I've spent $2k on my enlarging setup at all, including a few Beselers, lots of lenses and large trays, print washer, etc.. Heck I hired a guy to build me a completely custom workbench setup across my entire darkroom and also built a large island in the center myself and all of that custom work was only $1500, though I suppose costs on wood/construction materials have certainly increased.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Forgive me for repetition...not

I will not give away or sell for low price anymore LF/ULF gear of any kind

All I have given away! Was discarded! Giant Elwood, I love your Timelessness

"What's the difference between Art Deco and art nouveau?
    Art Nouveau and Art Deco are two of the defining art movements of the 20th century, influencing all elements of visual culture, from fine art and design, to architecture and graphic arts. Where Art Nouveau celebrates elegant curves and long lines, Art Deco consists of sharp angles and geometrical shapes."

Elwood has both

When I am dead, you can pry it from my fingers

and you will waste it anyway

Let me count my treasures on fingers and toes

as my eyes dim to black

I have 3 working Elwoods, all different
    Tin Can

Drew Wiley

I this area the challenge is affording personal space for a darkroom. But heck, where there's a will there's a way! Many of us have started out with something makeshift in a bathroom or garage. Some never graduate beyond that, or need to. Stieglitz developed many of his famous prints using a "tray ladder" in a closet in his office.

As far as equipment expense, a lot of things can be improvised, including sinks. And enlargers with all their needed accessories still turn up for free from time to time. The last enlarger I installed was a fully equipped 8X10 color Durst originally costing at least $27,000; but it was free to me, plus any other enlargers I could haul away (but didn't, because I didn't have any more space left). Within a month of weekends-only TLC, I had that whole machine 100% like-new functionally, and about 95% cosmetically reconditioned. My very best set of enlarging lenses were also obtained free on a different occasion.
    Some of my other toys were expensive, even custom-built by myself; but those are of the variety a typical black and white photographer never needs.

Reasonable is in the eye of the beholder

I spent way more on cars, motorbikes

2 divorces, the last one I just walked in and said 'How much?'

I said 'OK' and walked out

No anger

just stupidity

They should have waited for a few more years and got full SS
    Tin Can