Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hung Up On “Default” Apertures?

Re: Hung Up On “Default” Apertures?

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    Mine is f/32 when using my 150, 210mm and 305mm lenses, and f/22 for the 90 and 110mm lenses…what’s yours?
    I think that they should be relative to a particular format and not absolute...
    And also relative to the subject (portrait , landscape, etc)

one of the biggest discoveries on the photography forums is that manual focus aperture lenses do not have a set aperture stop.

yes they have numbered spots, but its mind blowing when some folks discover HALF STOPS,,,, and that you can use the lens aperture on any spot you want.. Its fun to see them pee themselves when they realize they can set the shutter speed to X and then slowly wheel the aperture around until the needle zeros out in happiness and they end up between numbers.

My 8x10 focuses with a screw drive, so it was easy to calibrate the knob to find the focus depth for the Hansma formula.
    I have a little chart, something like 6 hours on the clock (180 degrees rotation) is f32, etc.

For 8x10 and 11x14 since the middle 1970s - f/64. "old habits die hard"

Condition of shutter speeds - If the shutter is not reliable I aim for a 1 to 4 second exposure so I control the time the shutter is open and then set the f-stop accordingly - Assuming the light and DOF is what is desired. But usually f22 or f32.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Quote Originally Posted by Torquemada View Post
    one of the biggest discoveries on the photography forums is that manual focus aperture lenses do not have a set aperture stop.

yes they have numbered spots, but its mind blowing when some folks discover HALF STOPS,,,, and that you can use the lens aperture on any spot you want.. Its fun to see them pee themselves when they realize they can set the shutter speed to X and then slowly wheel the aperture around until the needle zeros out in happiness and they end up between numbers.
    Hard stops make it easier to set especially when you're in a weird standing position. Also, they're handy when you want to bracket or added a filter for the second shot.

Quote Originally Posted by esearing View Post
    Condition of shutter speeds - If the shutter is not reliable I aim for a 1 to 4 second exposure so I control the time the shutter is open and then set the f-stop accordingly - Assuming the light and DOF is what is desired. But usually f22 or f32.
    But you have to contend with wind blowing leaves and other moving things.