Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Interest in a new Hypergon?

multiplex

Re: Interest in a new Hypergon?

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    There was a time back in the day whey Golden De Busch was among the very few that did ULF.. offered ULF stuff too:
    https://degoldenbusch.com

Bernice
    hi bernice
    there were ULF users they just didn't do "fine art landscapes" but they did portraits and banquet photographs. Tom Yanule was one of these guys ... he was located in Chicago .. there were clusters of them in big cities that had .. banquets like Washington DC, NYC Boston, LA these people were busy from the 1930s until recently.. maybe even before the 1930s I only say that because they were busy photographing troops in ww2... tom y was an inventor and besides inventing and using pan cameras he built giant enlargers for his ULF negatives... he wasn't one of the azo amidol crowd..

Cirkut cameras and Banquet cameras also comes to mind.. Contact prints were a "thing"..

There was a time when...
    Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by jnantz View Post
    hi bernice
    there were ULF users they just didn't do "fine art landscapes" but they did portraits and banquet photographs. Tom Yanule was one of these guys ... he was located in Chicago .. there were clusters of them in big cities that had .. banquets like Washington DC, NYC Boston, LA these people were busy from the 1930s until recently.. maybe even before the 1930s I only say that because they were busy photographing troops in ww2... tom y was an inventor and besides inventing and using pan cameras he built giant enlargers for his ULF negatives... he wasn't one of the azo amidol crowd..

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Just incidentally, Ron Wisner planned a new 84mm Hypergon around 20-some years ago. Does anyone know if it ever came to be?
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    Just incidentally, Ron Wisner planned a new 84mm Hypergon around 20-some years ago. Does anyone know if it ever came to be?
    Actually got to the point of putting it in his catalog and pricing it. But I've never seen one, either in the flesh or online.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wisner Hypergon.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	234979

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    Actually got to the point of putting it in his catalog and pricing it. But I've never seen one, either in the flesh or online.

Name:	Wisner Hypergon.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	234979
    A friend of mine once told me that he was "at the top of the list" to acquire one... he never saw one.

multiplex

must have been a long long time ago around when he came out with the Wisner SLR ... I stopped by his shop in Marion about 12 years ago<?> and he'd already gotten on the boat and sailed away ...

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Cirkut cameras and Banquet cameras also comes to mind.. Contact prints were a "thing"..

There was a time when...
    Bernice
    But let's remember that early century photography didn't have many practical enlargers yet... They were a super hi-tek item for the top studios that often required it's own generator, or elaborate moving reflectors outside directed in to light the neg... Most studios had many different formats to shoot as these were the contact print sizes a customer might order, so that format was chosen...

Steve K

...another ULF/banquet guy from Chicago suddenly came to me - Art Sinsabaugh? Worked and taught back in the 1940's through '60's? Anyone here remember him?

I do understand the excitment about the possibility of the resurrection of the iconic Hyperion - BUT!

There are some facts that, perhaps, should be mentioned before enthusiasm overcomes reasoning!

- The Goerz Hypergon was not an expensive lens. In a catalogue from 1918 the Hypergon and the Heliar compare as follows (coverage vs price).

Hypergon. Price Heliar. Price Coverage (approximately)

000 120SK no.6 24cm. 260SK 13x18cm

000a. 135SK no.8 36cm. 480SK. 18x24cm

00. 145SK. No.9 42cm 620SK. 24x30/21x27cm

0. 170SK. - 30x40cm

1. 200SK. - 40x50cm
    In the same catalogue, an 18cm DAGOR cost 145 SK (Swedish Kronar).

So the Hypergon was not an expensive lens - in fact, it was particularly cheap especially in the larger sizes.

- So the reason there so few Hypergon around to-day must be due to something other than the price.
    Focusing at F.22 might have been a challenge when people have used to F15/16 for alternative extreme wide angle lenses. I have only seen a couple of period and recent prints from the Hypergon, but, for some reason, my brain cannot cope with the image (perspective?). I feel like some kind of viewer is necessary.

Sorry to be a wet blanket - I am usually very keen on resurrection projects!

Box camera fixed at infinity, Packard shutter, and (not shown) optical viewfinder & bubble level.

Maybe consider designing an optical viewfinder with bubble level that can be sold as a set witih this lens.

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-01-31 at 3.53.36 PM.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	235148

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-01-31 at 3.53.27 PM.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	235149