Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Interest in a new Hypergon?

Re: Interest in a new Hypergon?

Jason, thank you for giving this a try. It's a grand experiment and I hope you can find some buyers. I have trouble imagining any photographs I might take with such a lens, so I won't be purchasing one, but bravo!

Uber wide angle lenses can be a serious challenge to use effectively. IMO, uber wide angle lenses and their related cameras are s highly speciality image making device..
    Back in the day there were a number of specialized "sky cameras" with uber wide angle lenses. Seems the most common images made today with uber wide angle lenses are interior pictures for real estate listings and such.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    Jason, thank you for giving this a try. It's a grand experiment and I hope you can find some buyers. I have trouble imagining any photographs I might take with such a lens, so I won't be purchasing one, but bravo!

For a quick look you could try a 75mm pinhole on the 8x10. This is from my 3" FL 8x10 Leonardo camera with slight vertical crop.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RiverEPinhole1 11-33a.jpg  

Excellent Chuck!

You show and tell the very reason I am going your way

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Pere View Post
    For a quick look you could try a 75mm pinhole on the 8x10. This is from my 3" FL 8x10 Leonardo camera with slight vertical crop.
    Tin Can

Just received proof of concept lenses from the shop (8x10 format), so I mounted them in a 3D printed test barrel.

The fellow who approached me with the project backed out, but I’m considering running with it. Steve Lloyd at Chroma Camera is interested in making an ultra wide to accommodate it. He’s been chewing on that thought for the past day. We’d have to Kickstarter it to cover parts cost for a production run.

Next step is to mount it on a lensboard for my 2D and shoot some film.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0DBA7C32-6002-45E8-B8C0-24CA62B2C566.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	234947

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8FFFBD54-1ED5-4DCC-AFB8-F519EED0309C.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	234948
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

Jason,

Do you have a picture of the apodizing filter for this lens?

Not yet. I wanted to get the lenses squared away before tackling the custom apodizing filter, since I'll need to invest a bit more $$ to get it designed and prototyped. I'm currently talking to vendors and telling them how they can make a custom-profile filter at low cost.
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

Looking good, can't wait to see the results! Chuck's image above illustrates what I love about ultrawides and also what I don't love about some pinholes. I dig the perspective though, interested to see the difference in sharpness with a "real" lens.

I have seen a couple of images from a 90mm Hypergon on 11x14 and they weren't great, in terms of contrast and sharpness. I'm curious about a modern lens and how it can be improved in those aspects.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Your sharp and my SHARP are very different

I have real bad incurable vision

Everybody's 'vision' is different

mine was never 'good' since child

so it goes

I do what I can

cheerfully...
    Tin Can

Niche market lens.. Suspect the majority market for the Hypergon will be for sheet film formats of 8x10 to 20x24 as there fewer wide angle lenses for 8x10 then far fewer to none for sheet film formats 11x14 and larger..

What the ULF lens market needs is not just the Hypergon, it needs a wide angle double Gauss formula lens like a longer focal length(300mm and longer) Wide Field Ektar in shutter that does not need to be stopped down to ala f64 and smaller (yes, actual lens, not diffraction limited or pin hole effect all f128 and etc).

There was a time back in the day whey Golden De Busch was among the very few that did ULF.. offered ULF stuff too:
    https://degoldenbusch.com

Not just Apodizing filter, the re-issue Hypergon needs to accept modern metric sized thread on filters as B&W contrast filters are often used and was not an option, idea, need for the orginal Goerz Hypergon. Shutter needs becomes lesser of an issues as the effective exposure aperture goes smaller and smaller, simple lens cap does good and easy for exposures approaching one second.. Figure exposure aperture of f45, add Apodizing filter of _?_ f-stops add B&W contrast filter add slow ISO film or plate puts the exposure easily into the second(s) range.. no shutter needed, just lens cap..

Bernice