Thread: Lens Shift Adapter for Tachihara 8x10 Camera

Lens Shift Adapter for Tachihara 8x10 Camera

Japanese 8x10 field cameras like Tachihara, Wista, Nagaoka, Ikeda and Ebony are extremely well made and light, making them a favorite of outdoor photographers.

Unfortunately, most of them do not have shift movements on the front standard. The same result can be obtained by using swings on both standards, but this adds complexity and is a major irritant.

I have made a prototype lens shift adapter for Tachihara cameras that solves this problem. The adapter provides for 22.5mm shift left and right, for a total 45mm displacement and weighs only 500 grams. The front plate is about 15mm in front of the camera's front standard and does not come in the way of the tilt knobs on the Tachihara camera.

It is CNC machined out of aluminum. The lens boards are custom made 80mm square, the same size that Horseman used for their field cameras. At this time, shutter sizes up to Copal 3 can be mounted. I am working on supporting Shanel 5A and 5B shutters as well. The first adapter is made to fit cameras that accept Sinar lens boards - Tachihara being one of them. Adapters for other cameras will follow. This adapter is also the starting point for full-fledged architectural cameras that will have shift and rise/fall.

The photos show a functional prototype ready for production. All surfaces will be anodized matt black. An easily readable scale shows displacement in 5mm increments.

I expect production units to cost around 45,000 JPY (+/- 10%) plus shipping. If you have purchased a Tachihara or other wooden 8x10 camera from me at any time in the past, you will get a 15% discount on the price of the adapter. At this time I am only asking for an Expression of Interest. I will let you know when production begins, and at that time, I will ask for a 25% deposit. Please send me an email to register your interest.

I look forward to your questions and suggestions.

Kumar

Re: Lens Shift Adapter for Tachihara 8x10 Camera

I'd be potentially interested but not yet ready to commit to purchase
    Marty