Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can a ground glass substitute for Anti-Newton-Ring Glass?

Re: Can a ground glass substitute for Anti-Newton-Ring Glass?

Google is your friend....

a quick search found dozens of places to buy it.

https://www.knightoptical.com/stock/...60s%20rings%29.

its expensive.

my scanner gives me rings if i lay the plain glass on top of the neg so i put some electric tape along the edges to lift the glass off the neg. its working fine.

Drew Wiley

Short answer - NO in an enlarger, possibly YES in a contact frame. But with ordinary etched picture glass you have two problems : 1) the etching pattern might in fact show, an 2) it's awfully darn thin and fragile. I always use real AN glass for both applications. Angle of incidence of the light source is also a factor, and it's important to test in each given combination.

Another trick you can try is a sheet of 5-mil frosted mylar or Duralar between the regular contact glass and the negative. That not only solves the Newton ring issue, but gives a slightly different handling of film grain (better defined) which I personally like. Check for any flaws over a light box first.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ron View Post
    Google is your friend....

a quick search found dozens of places to buy it.

https://www.knightoptical.com/stock/...60s%20rings%29.

its expensive.

my scanner gives me rings if i lay the plain glass on top of the neg so i put some electric tape along the edges to lift the glass off the neg. its working fine.
    The UK business that you reference is the only one that I've seen that might have the correct 11x14 size. All of the others that Google turned up in my several searches for ANR glass did not have correctly sized product. Thank you for the reference. I checked Edmund Scientific ( now Edmund Optics ) and they did not have ANR glass in large size that I requested.

Tin Can

Drew Wiley

Any outfit with serious a inventory of AN glass can cut and edge it to any reasonable size you need. If they can't, they're just a secondary distributor. Unfortunately, Scan Tech here on the Coast didn't seem to survive the pandemic shutdown. Who knows what happened to their glass inventory. They specially cut and shipped my order slightly prior to that. Before them, there was Focal Point. It's a niche business; but none of those outfits actually made their glass; it was all volume ordered from somewhere else. Big manufacturers don't like being pestered by tiny end-users, and certainly rarely sell to them unless one has special connections. But back when there were still multiple makers of AN glass, I got free samples from every one of them, for sake of comparison. I just knew how to sound like a research project, and was not in fact fibbing about it.

Chamonix has made some 11x14 and 16x20 contact printing frames with Anti-Newton-Ring glass. I am a happy user. Newton-rings bothered me for years since I contact print only. I have yet to put these frames in our online shop yet as I thought they were too expensive with FedEx shipping included. I have changed my mind after a few months of use.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Zhang View Post
    Chamonix has made some 11x14 and 16x20 contact printing frames with Anti-Newton-Ring glass. I am a happy user. Newton-rings bothered me for years since I contact print only. I have yet to put these frames in our online shop yet as I thought they were too expensive with FedEx shipping included. I have changed my mind after a few months of use.
    I look forward to seeing them on your Web site. Also, please ask Hass to consider making one 10x12, an ideal size for 8x10 negatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    I look forward to seeing them on your Web site. Also, please ask Hass to consider making one 10x12, an ideal size for 8x10 negatives.
    I had one 10x12 custom made for myself a few months ago. 11x14 and 16x20 ones have one inch space on each side as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Zhang View Post
    I had one 10x12 custom made for myself a few months ago. 11x14 and 16x20 ones have one inch space on each side as well.
    Does that mean one labeled "8x10" would really be 10x12?

Yes, 8x10 printer has a space for 10x12.