Thread: Help with Super Chromega Dichroic II

Help with Super Chromega Dichroic II

I bought a used enlarger maybe 25 years ago and am finally in the process of setting it up. The panel light is out, any tips on changing it? Also, the set screws for the focus and expose dials are loose. The smallest Allen wrench I have is 1.5mm (~0.060") and is too big. Are they .050"? Lastly, is there an online manual for this enlarger? Thanks in advance.

Re: Help with Super Chromega Dichroic II

It has been a while since I had one of those apart. Should all be SAE, so try 0.05"

There is no service manual, but if you do take it apart, make very good notes of where the spacers and spring are. It only works right if it goes back together exactly one way.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF4736.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	234421

It seems to be in good shape. Any problems I need to be aware of with this unit? Evenness, etc? I intend to just use it for B&W, I assume I just leave it on "White". Need to figure out the power source, foot pedal, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Middleton View Post
    It seems to be in good shape. Any problems I need to be aware of with this unit? Evenness, etc? I intend to just use it for B&W, I assume I just leave it on "White". Need to figure out the power source, foot pedal, etc.
    Chromega color heads are great for VC paper. Use the magenta and yellow filtration to vary the contrast response of the paper. Ilford's tech pub on the subject is here: https://www.ilfordphoto.com/wp/wp-co...Multigrade.pdf .

Note that there are two tables for use with color heads, the single filtration and the dual. The latter is supposedly speed matched for a middle value. I just use single filtration.

And I second what was posted above: If you take the head apart, keep notes and take photos with your smart phone for reassembly. These heads are fairly straightforward, so you should have no problems.

Best,

Doremus

The head is fine, no need to take it apart. I need some info on the power supply if anybody has one or knows. Instructions for use. Why two dials?

There are at least two different power supplies. One has a timer built in (see http://store.khbphotografix.com/Chro...imer-Used.html). I had this version with my head and the timer portion eventually broke. There's another type that works with an external timer. I eventually found one of these along with the optional voltage regulator. I would look for this type (see http://store.khbphotografix.com/120V...olorheads.html). From the writeup at the link it looks like the head needs both 22.5V and 120V supplies for the different bulbs.

Most of the Super-Chromegas I've used on the job had the Chromegatrol power supply/timer. All of those broke down (under heavy professional use) sooner or later. Luckily this was at Kodak and we had an electronic maintenance group; as I recall it was a simple repair. We had a few with the regular power supply as well. I'd say either one would be the right choice; few of us today will work their enlargers as hard as we did back then.

I recently chatted with Kevin of KHB, and he alerted me to the fact that the bulbs can change temperature over time. They drift towards yellow and that can create a challenge with VC papers. I just bought a whole new set of bulbs and I’m looking forward to see if there’s any difference…

Glad you resurrected what we affectionately call “the beast“!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the Chromegatrol power supply. It seems to work fine, the only problem is that the right dial is out of register. It has two set screws, the left one doesn't have any but registers correctly. Not a big deal. I found a video explaining why two dials instead of one, it certainly isn't intuitive. Looks like I'm good to go, just need to build a cabinet to put it on.

I bought all the gear for $500 long ago, sink, enlarger, power supply, developing tanks, paper, safe lights, etc.

Name:	PXL_20230109_215026985_2.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	234574

Name:	PXL_20230109_214931761_2.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	234575

Name:	PXL_20230109_214856098_2.jpg