Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Portraits from 2023

Re: Portraits from 2023

Thanks all! More of the series can be seen on my website, for those who are interested. About half are on 120 film, the other half are on 4x5. I'll try to post more of the 4x5 images as I produce them.

Here's the project statement:

"Dream Portal" is a series of photographic portraits, captured using medium and large format film cameras and printed onto 16"x20" silver gelatin fiber paper in the wet darkroom. The portraits are all single exposures, with prisms inserted between the subjects and the camera lens.

When I studied music, I once had a composition teacher who, in response to one of my more pedantic efforts, suggested that I try to "dream more." I have since tried to take that advice to heart. Our waking life has certain visual rules that can be broken in our dreaming life, and I often remember my dreams with only fleeting, distorted imagery; that imagery is what I seek to recapture in this series, using the prism as a portal that allows me to escape the realistic waking world.

When we dream, we cede control to our subconscious. Similarly, the process of capturing these images involved ceding control to the vagaries of light; even the tiniest rotation of a prism can completely change an image. The images captured on a large format camera were of course captured blind, and even the images captured on a medium format camera often looked very little like what they looked like through the viewfinder. Chaotic though they may be, however, dreams are seeded by our memories, and so I've selected for this series images where the prism not only breaks light apart but also reorganizes it coherently, the way our dreaming mind reorganizes the random signals coming from our brainstem.

Quote Originally Posted by grit View Post
    Thanks all! More of the series can be seen on my website, for those who are interested. About half are on 120 film, the other half are on 4x5. I'll try to post more of the 4x5 images as I produce them.

Here's the project statement:
    Thank you the description. Dreams is a good topic. Sometimes I believe that dreams are communicated to us, and so not always random. But it is an interesting perspective, and certainly at times they do seem to be randomised, yet organised coherently, like you say.

Also, some of your images remind me a little of Rainer Fassbinders World on a Wire, where there were many shots presenting an initial view of the world, before panning out and revealing the real view of the world. Or at least, another view of the world.
    Instagram username: @AlmosLataan

My Website

Quote Originally Posted by faraz View Post
    I guess anyone shooting portraits 8x10 is doing so outdoors or with a lighting setup in a studio. Using natural light indoors would seem near impossible.
    Another possibility could be using a faster film, such as TMAX 400, or Portra 400. You'll gain extra speed, and the reciprocity characteristics are better. Additionally, these films are true ISO 400/27 films, and will "push" better than Foma 200, if you need even more "speed."*

* I know pushing doesn't actually increase the sensitivity of the film, but it does let you photograph in lower light, albeit with some trade-offs.

I had to delete a previous message due to an issue with my site, but here is my image:

I know it's not a traditional portrait as I have chosen not to include the head, but I wasn't too sure where to post it.

I had issues with light leaks in my bellows, so have attempted to remove these as much as possible in light room. It's just an Epson v700 scan.

It's an image in what I hope to be an ongoing pro-life project. I realise this is a contentious topic, so I explain my reasoning here for why I am pro-life. https://almoslataan.com/Pro-life-Photography-1 I won't go into it here, as this is about image sharing.

I've only managed a few large format images so far, so I'm still learning the right technique. Lot's of support here, though, which I'm thankful for.

Hp5+
    Extol
    Epson v700 scan.

My Website

Excellent and you did include a head, but it's still in womb

Keep on

Quote Originally Posted by MilamBardo View Post
    I had to delete a previous message due to an issue with my site, but here is my image:

I know it's not a traditional portrait as I have chosen not to include the head, but I wasn't too sure where to post it.

I had issues with light leaks in my bellows, so have attempted to remove these as much as possible in light room. It's just an Epson v700 scan.

It's an image in what I hope to be an ongoing pro-life project. I realise this is a contentious topic, so I explain my reasoning here for why I am pro-life. https://almoslataan.com/Pro-life-Photography-1 I won't go into it here, as this is about image sharing.

I've only managed a few large format images so far, so I'm still learning the right technique. Lot's of support here, though, which I'm thankful for.

Hp5+
    Extol
    Epson v700 scan.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Excellent and you did include a head, but it's still in womb

Keep on
    Ha! Very true.

My Website

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lizduncan-260223.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	236678

portrait taken with sinar norma schmeider kreuznach xenar 150mm, fomopan 100 developed in rodinal 1+26 8mins

M.A. Wikstrom

Father & Son. 8x10 contact print. 12 inch Dagor with HP5+
    Greg and Joe by Marco Wikstrom

M.A. Wikstrom

The old man. 8x10 contact print. 210mm APO Sironar with X-Ray film.
    Greg by Marco Wikstrom

Woodyman 4x5, Nikkor W 210mm, Fomapan 200.