Thread: Portraits from 2023

Re: Portraits from 2023

I don't keep notes, I lose them anyway

Pretty sure 10.5" Cooke SF, it is a V700 scan 8X10 2X not cropped

Notice there are no notches and the side 'lines'

I find the eyes odd as one is not sharp

They may have been killed in earthquake

Quote Originally Posted by ericantonio View Post
    So good. Was this a modern lens or retro lens?
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    I don't keep notes, I lose them anyway

Pretty sure 10.5" Cooke SF, it is a V700 scan 8X10 2X not cropped

Notice there are no notches and the side 'lines'

I find the eyes odd as one is not sharp

They may have been killed in earthquake
    I barely keep notes as well. I write as much as I can on the plastic printfile. I do know know "generally" what lens I've used since I only have a handful. I noticed the eyes. Maybe she was sitting slightly sideways.
    --

Looking for some portrait advice. I'm a landscape shooter, but recently have been taking some family portraits on 8x10 with a Fujinon 250mm/6.7 mostly at f8 or 11 on Fomapan 200 for around 3-10s. Well 3 shots today and none of them are sharp, I mean not even close. I'm baffled, f11 is shallow but what I want is in focus on the ground glass and the subjects are still enough. So I'm thinking its the movement of the standards as I insert the film holder is shifting things out slightly.

Anyone have any advice on this? I don't shoot a lot of 8x10, mostly work in 4x5 and MF and seldom have focus issues.

It is possible that your ground glass isn't calibrated to the film plane in the film holder.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugan View Post
    It is possible that your ground glass isn't calibrated to the film plane in the film holder.
    I had considered this but the thought was too distressing, I quickly moved on . I'm using a aluminium and carbon Gibellini (one of the older models) with a Chamonix or Fidelity film holder - so the gear is relatively new. But admittedly I haven't shot it below f22, usually higher until now and this certainly worth testing for.

I guess I could use a laser pointer without the lens and test for distance to the film plane with the GG and a open Film holder, not sure if this is accurate enough.

Quote Originally Posted by faraz View Post
    Looking for some portrait advice. I'm a landscape shooter, but recently have been taking some family portraits on 8x10 with a Fujinon 250mm/6.7 mostly at f8 or 11 on Fomapan 200 for around 3-10s. Well 3 shots today and none of them are sharp, I mean not even close. I'm baffled, f11 is shallow but what I want is in focus on the ground glass and the subjects are still enough. So I'm thinking its the movement of the standards as I insert the film holder is shifting things out slightly.

Anyone have any advice on this? I don't shoot a lot of 8x10, mostly work in 4x5 and MF and seldom have focus issues.
    Can I toss in a question here? In 35mm there's a guideline that the shutter speed should be equal to the focal length of the lens used.
    What's the guideline with larger formats? Is 3-10 seconds ok with 8x10? Or?

Quote Originally Posted by Ootsk View Post
    Can I toss in a question here? In 35mm there's a guideline that the shutter speed should be equal to the focal length of the lens used.
    Depends on a few things. Do you have a sturdy tripod? Is it windy? Portrait shooting beyond 1 sec is difficult for the subject to remain still without sitting or the use of a brace.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by Ootsk View Post
    That's for eliminating shake in hand-held cameras. Not many people hand-hold an 8x10.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    That's for eliminating shake in hand-held cameras. Not many people hand-hold an 8x10.
    Yes, not relevant for most LF work, I don't think anyone shoots 8x10 handheld! My tripod could be sturdier though, going to steady everything and try again - just wondered if there are any tips from portrait shooters that might help other than the obvious.

now, that is a goal!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    Tin Can