Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting a scale for Metolian consistency

Getting a scale for Metolian consistency

After a week of fairly concentrated testing to resolve some film development issues, track down one anomaly, and generally get my processing finally locked down -- an effort occasioned by adapting to my new LED head's different contrast from my previous coldlight, as posted in various threads -- I have finally decided to invest in a gem scale for my Metol measurement. The latest batch from the Formulary has even greater "stickiness" and "lofty" texture than the previous one bought several years ago, though I have silica in the jar with it, and levelling the spoon is chancier. I have been using careful spoon measurements for my D23 for several years, but since it seemed that I might be getting less Metol per measurement now than before, I went downstairs and measured some out on the kitchen digital scale. Instead of (the hoped for) 7-8 grams per 2 Tsp, the scale said 5 . Is the scale accurate in this range? No idea; probably not. Have I been using 5 gms all this time? Again, a question mark. In any case, Metol being a bit like flour-- very compressible -- in baking bread (which I do weigh, since I bake infrequently), the scale will let me sleep better.

I am so tired of testing just to get N-5 to N+3 settled, that the thought of inserting a new variable almost made me reject the idea. But whatever the new scale shows, I can easily adjust my times by percentage once I adjust for N.

I am determined to make 2023 one of making images, not testing! Zum werk -- to the work!
    Last edited by Ulophot; 5-Jan-2023 at 14:05. Reason: not 5 grams each
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Re: Getting a scale for Metolian consistency

I can see your problem. I have often thought of getting a small digital scale for measuring less than 1 gram but ran into the problem of how do I calibrate the scale for 1/2 gram. Since I have a rare need for measuring that small of an amount I just passed on the thought. For now I'll continue to use the balance scale that I've used for the past 40 years. It is accurate down to 1 gram when used with the calibrated weight set.

You might look into getting a weight set so that you can check the accuracy of your kitchen scale. You can find small digital scales at Harbor Freight at a reasonable price, but you do need something "calibrated" to check their accuracy.

Matt Alexander

You can get decent digital milligram scales from major online retail site for less than $50
    Mine came with a calibration weight too.
    Even monkeys fall from trees -- Japanese proverb

I have 4 digital scales all are needed

I buy cheap from AMAZON or eBay

They all work perfectly

The smallest responds to breathing

I used this type at my first lab job https://www.hogentogler.com/mettler-...BoCM2cQAvD_BwE

I now use this, don't breathe https://www.amazon.com/Fuzion-Portab...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

I uses
    Tin Can

Hi Philip

Yes, you should invest in a scale, digital or otherwise, that is accurate down to small increments of a gram just to "calibrate" your spoon recipes, if nothing else. Bite the bullet and get something. I got a wonderful Ohaus triple-beam balance scale for next to nothing from a police auction (no longer needed evidence seized in a drug bust). I've seen deals on eBay, etc. too.

Once you have a decent scale, you can figure out the spoon weight of your current batch of Metol (and whatever else). If you can be consistent with your spooning, and the consistency of the chemical is uniform, then you can simply figure out the right spoon weight for each different batch. That's what I do. Also, you'll then have a scale for formulae that require more precision.

Of course, if your dry chemical does not have a uniform consistency, then weighing it out each time is really the best method.

Best,

Doremus

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    I got a wonderful Ohaus triple-beam balance scale for next to nothing from a police auction (no longer needed evidence seized in a drug bust). I've seen deals on eBay, etc. too.
    I got a Ohaus digital scale on Ebay, worked great for a while then stopped working. Turns out it was clogged with weed that had somehow worked it's way in. So buyer beware having weed in a used scale is humorous, having something else in one (Fentanyl) could be bad...

(See additional post below)

Scale arrived, and I immediately took it to the darkroom and calibrated it. Then, knowing my gently levelled teaspoons were giving me less than needed (I corrected my earlier post on this, in which I carelessly misstated my experience), I dumped on heaping spoons. Lo and behold, it took three to reach 7.5 g. I thought I'd see what it would come out to it I packed the Metol into spoon and then levelled. It came to about 2 tsp plus 2/3.

So, now I need to guess how to adjust my development time for my first test. Here's my thinking, and I'll appreciate any corrections on this, because mathematics is, shall I say euphemistically, not my forté.

Using D23 stock instead of my usual 1:1, I find that multiplying the time by 0.7 gives the equivalent development. If I increase my stock concentration by the approximately 1/3 indicated above (each of the two teaspoons of Metol per liter of stock is becoming about 1 and 1/3), my time for either stock or 1:1 should decrease by something like 20%.

Does that make sense or am I way off?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Ulophot; 5-Jan-2023 at 18:47.
    Philip Ulanowsky

www.imagesinsilver.art

i guess digital is the way to go these days.. cheap, small, light and pretty accurate. my old triple beam lab scale uses way to much counter space but its accurate balls on.

As usual, I can't measure, or think when measuring. My post above, i just realized, is off, big-time: I was comparing compressed spoonfuls with uncompressed. Duh...

In fact, my uncompressed tsp comes in at around 1.8+ gram, meaning I have been using 3.6-3.7 instead of 7.5 per liter. I'm inclined, therefore, to cut my present N development for 1:1 from 10.5 min to 7 for a first try.

How does that sound?
    Philip Ulanowsky

www.imagesinsilver.art

youre measuring chemicals as if you are baking a cake?... hahahaha
    get a scale!

https://www.amazon.com/triple-beam-s...ple+beam+scale

also see tc scale?... $7!