Good idea!

Must be the plain paper, not wax cups

I was looking on Amazon yesterday for new Tare cups

No findum

will look again

I have a few left

I need much smaller cups

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    To hold chems while measuring, I use standard Dixie paper drink cups... They are remarkably even in tare weight (within less than 1/10gm one to another), easy to shake chems in/out, large enough to hold enough chem for more than a liter to mix, and cheap enough to use a fresh one for each chem...

Easy way to measure, then shaken into the solution with the magnetic mixer...

Steve K
    Tin Can

Re: Getting a scale for Metolian consistency

Tin Can

You can also use cupcake/muffin papers liners. Hundreds for dirt cheap and they take up no space. I use them for things like carbonate, sulfite… I just get them at the supermarket. They each weigh 0.5g. For small amounts and/or trickier compounds I just use little weighing papers I cut from plain paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post

Philip,

If your Metol isn't of even enough consistency or compresses irregularly, then weighing instead of using spoon measures will certainly be more accurate and precise.

I only advocate spoon recipes for situations where the volume measurement can be easily and accurately repeated. It helps also when the formula is one that has a larger margin of error. My Metol is of even enough consistency that I'm not concerned about using spoon measurements to mix print developers. I'd likely want to be sure that my spooning was repeatable before using it for D-23 or other film developers, which is why I suggested weighing out a few teaspoons to see if you could find a mean volume that gave you the weight you needed within a reasonable variation for the developer you're compounding. If you can't, the get out the scales.

For those that disparage spoon recipes, however, I'd just like to point out that volume measurements of things with an even consistency can be extremely accurate (that's what we do with liquids, right?). And, weighing things out isn't always as precise as we think. Powdered chemicals often absorb water from the air, changing the amount of active ingredient per unit of weight. Weighing out an amount of older sodium carbonate anhydrous can get you significantly less carbonate that you think you're getting if there has been significant water absorption.

It's important to know how precise you need to be with a specific formula and weigh that against the convenience of using the likely less-accurate spoon measures. If slight variations in proportions make a significant difference, then use the most precise methods of measuring possible. If not, save a bit of time and grab the measuring spoons.

Best,

Doremus

I don't care what method anybody uses

I worked in test labs most of my life

I treat every chem/food/etc as poison

I am careful

I quit a Chem lab age 21 because one damn fool thought fluffy asbestos was 'pretty'

He would toss a handful into light

An oven also exploded as the 'scientist' wrote a procedure and he not think about glue solvent vapor

I was looking at the locked oven and somehow felt the pressure minutes before the door blew with a big boom

So big it shut down the whole huge factory

I don't trust experts

guns either

'experts' told me several times, it was not loaded
    Tin Can

Agree. Particularly in the case of D-23 the amounts are large enough that quite of bit of measurement slop can be tolerated. Even in Haist’s book for example (which like any proper chem book has an entire chapter devoted to mixing, calculations etc.) the “spoon” version of D-23 makes an appearance as legit.

Print developers too, in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    Philip,

If your Metol isn't of even enough consistency or compresses irregularly, then weighing instead of using spoon measures will certainly be more accurate and precise.

I only advocate spoon recipes for situations where the volume measurement can be easily and accurately repeated. It helps also when the formula is one that has a larger margin of error. My Metol is of even enough consistency that I'm not concerned about using spoon measurements to mix print developers. I'd likely want to be sure that my spooning was repeatable before using it for D-23 or other film developers, which is why I suggested weighing out a few teaspoons to see if you could find a mean volume that gave you the weight you needed within a reasonable variation for the developer you're compounding. If you can't, the get out the scales.

For those that disparage spoon recipes, however, I'd just like to point out that volume measurements of things with an even consistency can be extremely accurate (that's what we do with liquids, right?). And, weighing things out isn't always as precise as we think. Powdered chemicals often absorb water from the air, changing the amount of active ingredient per unit of weight. Weighing out an amount of older sodium carbonate anhydrous can get you significantly less carbonate that you think you're getting if there has been significant water absorption.

It's important to know how precise you need to be with a specific formula and weigh that against the convenience of using the likely less-accurate spoon measures. If slight variations in proportions make a significant difference, then use the most precise methods of measuring possible. If not, save a bit of time and grab the measuring spoons.

Best,

Doremus

I have long just spooned Citric Acid Powder for stop

almost ready to begin D23

I will store my Rodinol for harder times

I have plenty of D23 part a and part b

I follow Ken Lee as he has always made sense

D 23

https://www.kennethleegallery.com/ht...igh%20contrast.
    Tin Can

D-23 is great, and simple/fast to mix. It was originally formulated to work similarly to D-76, which is still about as good as it gets. Rodinal is of course good too, so you’re in good shape.

Ken is a good guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    I have long just spooned Citric Acid Powder for stop

almost ready to begin D23

I will store my Rodinol for harder times

I have plenty of D23 part a and part b

I follow Ken Lee as he has always made sense

D 23

https://www.kennethleegallery.com/ht...igh%20contrast.