Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Older lenses in a modern world? (Kodak 12" Commercial Ektar w/modern filters & hoods)

Older lenses in a modern world? (Kodak 12" Commercial Ektar w/modern filters & hoods)

Hi,

I've done some searching here and found a few references to this lens, as well as that it uses Series VIII adapters for what appears to be filter/accessory holders.

Bernice's suggestion to use a camera-mounted holder to hang filters in front of the lens is a good one, but my camera doesn't really have anything to mount it on (Arca Swiss F-Metric Field). I could potentially use the rail.

I've standardized on the Lee wide angle hood, which holds 100mm filters and coincidentally just perfectly allows a snug press-fit placement of any of my many 95mm filters. I have adapters for all of my previous lenses (all modern glass).

I see that the 14" version takes 72mm filters, and Kerry wrote in another thread that the 12 inch takes a 2.5 inch (63.5 mm) adapter. Would that be an external press-on adapter? That would match my caliper measurements of the outside diameter of the front of the lens barrel. The inside threaded part looks to be about 60mm, but I could be off and I don't know the thread pitch. Does anyone know for sure? I don't see it listed in any of the threads here or Kodak documentation I've been able to find.

1. Is there a Lee adapter that will fit the threaded portion and/or slip-on outside of this lens? Does anyone know the thread size and pitch for the inside filter threads of this lens?

2. Are there other adapters available (besides the Kodak originals) that allow commonly used sizes to be used (Brian wrote elsewhere that a 67mm filter will screw into the 63.5mm adapter, I have a bunch of Rollei Bay VI filters I use with my 6008 which have adapters to both 67mm and 72mm)?

3. What size lens cap does this take? My lens came with original caps, which are beautiful, fit quite snugly, but I'd prefer not to take out on travel with me, would rather use something I won't be afraid of dropping or losing. If the 63.5mm figure above is for a slip-on adapter, a 64mm cap which is readily available should be fine.

4. Does anyone know for sure what the rear element size is, so I can source a third party cap for that too?

Beautiful lens, I'm excited to get outside and try it out. Lot's a beautiful, cloudy weather here lately.

Thanks!

Re: Older lenses in a modern world? (Kodak 12" Commercial Ektar w/modern filters & ho

1. The inside threads are most likely not intended for screw-in filters...they are for the lens cell-retaining / 'beauty' ring.
    2. S.K. Grimes can make really nice custom push-on filter adapters that have rubber o-rings to protect the lens barrel surface. Available for screw-in or Lee, Cokin, Wratten gels, or whatever you can dream up... Sweeeet, but not cheap...
    3. Kaiser makes inexpensive plastic push-on lens caps in many sizes.
    4. See #3.
    Last edited by Dugan; 1-Jan-2023 at 22:17. Reason: More cowbell

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: Older lenses in a modern world? (Kodak 12" Commercial Ektar w/modern filters & ho

Regarding the front lens threads, they do not hold filters. That is why Kodak specified in the documentation of the day slip-on Series VIII adapter. (They weren’t doing that just to sell another piece of gear.). With that adapter you can use a snap-in 67mm lens cap. A Series VIII adapter really is the elegant solution, especially if you already have 67mm filters.

Just a personal comment on filters for older lenses, which I use more often than not. The lens’s contemporary filter solutions, like series filters and slip-on adapters, are not only the easiest but a rather affordable solution. Sometimes condition of the filter must be scrutinized and often some filters might not be available. But for standard B&W contrast filters and hoods it’s just as good, if not much easier, to stay vintage as it is to seek a modern solution.

I'm with Brian. I use slip-on filters regularly. I certainly would never pay anyone to make expensive adapters instead pf using old tried and true methods and materials

Thanks everyone.

So Kaiser for replacement caps, and go vintage for filters (yes, primarily for B&W contrast adjustment). I did a few searches, but didn't really come up with much. Who are the usual suspects/where would I find a Series VIII adapter ring and a set of filters? The Grimes one's look great, but really pricey!

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Contact Tim at FilterFind.net

Set up an eBay search with notifications and save it.

That isn’t the easiest adapter to find so it may take some persistence. Get a Series VIII metal hood too. Those two items plus your 67mm filters will have you good-to-go!

Push-on_slip-on filter adapters use series sizes filters that have not been made as current production in decades.. unless the filter is special ordered. There were lots of them made which can be found as good-used. Difficulty and very real limitation of series sized filter holder is stacking and using a polarizer as part of the filter stack. There is also a risk of scratching the front lens cell if the fit and condition of the slip-on_push-on filter adapter is not ideal.

Then there is the problem of specific lens to specific push on adapter(s) as needed for different sized "vintage" lenses. Given this is the first vintage lens, it is very possible other vintage lenses will follow re-igniting the need for a stack of adapters and series sized filters... Don't get caught by short term thinking driven by the single vintage lens in hand..

BTW, 72mm thread on filter sorta-fits the 14" commercial Ektart or 12" f4.5 Ektar.. Not recommended as Kodak lenses are made with inch thread system, later metric sized thread on filters are metric thread system. There is a thread system dis-agreement here.

After using many "vintage" lenses over the decades combined with modern lenses that properly accept the current Metric standard thread-on filters, the on-camera filter holder system remains the ideal solution.. as there is no need for any filter connection to the front lens cell and is essentially independent of front lens cell size within limits. There are added advantages of being able to use the most current filter offerings and the ability to stack as many filters as needed combined with polarizer and the ability to swing the filter stack out of the way as needed.. And a stack of 100mm or 4" square filters take up a lot less space and easier to carry than a stack of thread-on or series sized filters. As for optical performance, optical resin is equal to the best optical glass filters. If optical glass filters are wanted, they can be ordered at significantly higher cost depending on specific filter type. Keep in mind the sheet filters are what is used by mega $ cinema and video production folks where as Panavision or ARRI camera/lens combo $ value can easily approach One Million U$D.. there is no reason to use anything less other than the very best filters as needed in to the mat box filter slot in front of the lens.

~Lee filters is owned by Panavision.

~Schneider owns B+W and produces some of the best optical glass filters on the market.

~Fomatt-Hitech made filters for Sinar..

~Cokin Pro filters are another alternative.

100mm square filter set for both Linhof TK23s and 5x7 Sinar Norma and Sinar system.

#8- yellow.
    #12- yellow.
    #16- orange.
    #25A- red.
    #58- green.
    #47- blue.

2-f stop ND.
    4-f stop ND.
    10-f stop ND.

Polarizer 82mm for the TK23s, 105mm for the Sinar (fits Sinar filter holder).
    All can be stack as three B&W contrast or ND or the rotating polarizer is threaded on to the on-camera filter holder.

Also have a set of series XI filters and adapters (used with metric thread-on adapters for hand held camera lenses these days or can fit any of the on camera filter holders), 125mm square Sinar filter set, 103mm/105mm Sinar filter set...

Bernice

I have a 12" Commercial Ektar, date code OE (1964) I use the Kodak series VIII hood, requires an adapter, from Kodak series 8 size 2 1/2 in - 63.5mm. Kodak made several different adapters, I think I bought 4 or 5 before I got the right size. You can insert a Kodak series 8 filter holder between the lens hood and adapter, this will let you "drop in" modern 67mm filters or, much harder to find series 8 filters.
    Beautiful lenses.

I bought one of these Kodak series 8 adapters for my 12" CE lens
    Ended up not firing my lens - many variations apparently

If memory serves correct, Arca Swiss front standards have threaded holes on top to allow adding/supporting the optional compendium lens shade. Those holes can be used to support a on-camera filter holder or modify the Arca Swiss compendium lens shade to fit 100mm / 4" square filters.

Very worth while DIY project..

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by 6x6TLL View Post
    use a camera-mounted holder to hang filters in front of the lens is a good one, but my camera doesn't really have anything to mount it on (Arca Swiss F-Metric Field). I could potentially use the rail.

I've standardized on the Lee wide angle hood, which holds 100mm filters and coincidentally just perfectly allows a snug press-fit placement of any of my many 95mm filters. I have adapters for all of my previous lenses (all modern glass).