Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Foma 200?

Drew Wiley

Re: Foma 200?

Michael - thank you for updating the info. on Mark. And yeah, with today's paper selection, it is indeed difficult to skate on an all-midscale ice rink, and still keep it all silvery, without turning muddy-looking. The last paper I have on my shelves that will competently do that is discontinued EMaks graded; I hope it's still good.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    It ISN'T limited to just 120 roll film! Did you even read my immediately preceding post concerning 200 sheet film, or pmlpoma's identical complaint? The quality control is a crap shoot, and your own choice whether to gamble or not.
    I've even had my finger cut just loading film holders to begin with. It seems to be a combination of the especially hard brittle emulsion and the relatively crude sheet sizing machinery. And keep in mind, I've probably tried 90% of the sheet film options out there over the decades. And Foma films are the ONLY ones with this problem. It ain't my gloves at fault!
    Sorry, but just like Koraks I have completely different experiences so I think you are just retelling your experiences from long ago.

I have shot several boxes of Foma 100 in 4x5 the last years and used it at box speed having no trouble with ID11 or HC110 (1+31 or 1+63). Got just the same results as with FP4+ in rendering. I haven't had a single sheet with the defects you mention. All issues where clear user errors like wrong exposure or light leaks. And I just felt some FP4+ and Foma 100 4x5 negative edges and they are not distinguishable by touch.

Foma 400 is only iso 250 at best, but that is clear to see if you open the datasheet. Like wise Foma 200 is iso 200 (HC110 1+63) but in 120 there are black dots on the negative and this is what I have also received as feedback from other users at the same time I shot my rolls. I haven't opened my box of 4x5 yet.

If you think that Foma is the sharpest edge, you have not yet tried Adox CHS100II which does have rough edges. But while unpleasant they will not cut.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

I stopped shooting Foma large format film years ago when I realized that I was making two of every exposure to make sure I got one good one. No point to that at all since it is more expensive than just shooting one sheet of Ilford, so I just use Ilford now.

Their 120 films have problems from time to time it seems so I stopped using that as well, and just use ilford now. And yeah, black dots on Foma 120. Terrible. If I just scanned the film it would be ok but I still wet print so a slew of black dots just makes the image not worth it.

I still use quite a bit of Foma 35mm film. They seem to be ok with that. Wish they would get a better anti halation layer though. Not sure why they don't.

I've even had my finger cut just loading film holders to begin with. It seems to be a combination of the especially hard brittle emulsion and the relatively crude sheet sizing machinery. And keep in mind, I've probably tried 90% of the sheet film options out there over the decades. And Foma films are the ONLY ones with this problem. It ain't my gloves at fault!
    Well, I consider myself a plain old klutz much of the time - if someone gives my a present, I'll cut myself unwrapping it. I always sport a wide range of bruises and cuts from bumping into stuff etc. However, I've NEVER cut myself on sheet film, LOL! Having handled hundreds of sheets of Fomapan film, it's beyond me how I could manage to hurt myself using it, even if I tried.

Seriously though, there are perfectly valid reasons not to use certain films. Fomapan 100 is nice, but you have to like (or at least not be bothered by) its shoulder behavior. Fomapan 200 has awful reciprocity behavior and if that's important to you, there's no solution to it but to use a different kind of film. But some people just manage to come up with reasons that only seem to be the resulting really, really trying very hard to disqualify something.

No worries though; nobody's holding a gun to your head to make you use any particular film.

Now I'm off to develop another couple of Foma 200 sheets. Did a test carbon transfer from one of yesterday's batch last night; came out great! I even managed to walk away from the experience without requiring a blood transfusion! It's a miracle...

I shot about 20 sheets of Foma 100 - in 4x5 & 5x7
    No issues so far apart from the rebate edges not being square to the emulsion edge if that makes sense.
    Have not tried the Foma 200

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by Serge S View Post
    I shot about 20 sheets of Foma 100 - in 4x5 & 5x7
    No issues so far apart from the rebate edges not being square to the emulsion edge if that makes sense.
    Have not tried the Foma 200
    Hopefully, I’ve understood your issue…

The rebate is based on no light hitting the sheet, isn’t it? As it, the area under the holder lip.

As such, this would be how the film was sitting in the holder, not the film itself (the film has a solid coating, after all). just tap the base of the holder, in the orientation you’re shooting,just prior to insertion, to bed the sheet on the base of the film holder rebate. This will square it.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Thank You Lachlan!
    Will give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    Hopefully, I’ve understood your issue…

The rebate is based on no light hitting the sheet, isn’t it? As it, the area under the holder lip.

As such, this would be how the film was sitting in the holder, not the film itself (the film has a solid coating, after all). just tap the base of the holder, in the orientation you’re shooting,just prior to insertion, to bed the sheet on the base of the film holder rebate. This will square it.

There are still problems with Fomapan 200 in 120:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4011-12-50pc.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	234970
    I love Fomapan 200 in 120 for its tonailty and hate it for its black dots or spots or streaks. Here are two pictures taken under nearly the same conditions, but admittedly on two different days and with two different lenses. The "black rain" on the Fompan 200 image should be pretty obvious compared to the Fomapan 100 image. I wish Fomapan would improve its quality control.
    Fomapan 200 in 4x5 on the other hand is lovely and works very well.

Purchased 10 rolls of Arista EDU (same as Forma) 120 about a year ago, used 4 rolls to try.. still have 6 rolls not used..

Tonality is ok, defects are not ok... film is lower cost, in the overall picture, the initial lower cost is not so ok...

Bernice

I purchase a box of 4x5 Fomapan 100, 50 sheets in June of 2020. Tiny black spots on all 12 sheets I shot and processed with two developers, Pyrocat M and Rodinal. That was it for me, I will not give that brand another chance.