Thread: 2023 Carbon Printing Workshop, Yosemite Valley, April 19th to 23rd, 2023

2023 Carbon Printing Workshop, Yosemite Valley, April 19th to 23rd, 2023

Hello. I am offering a carbon printing workshop at the Ansel Adams Gallery in Yosemite Valley. Jim Fitzgerald will be my co-instructor. The workshop is limited to 6 participants. The dates are April 19 to 23, 2023.

The workshop is film-based and hands-on. We will have two 8x10s (and film) for participants to use (under as much supervision as needed or wanted) during one or two field trips in Yosemite Valley (weather permitting). Our goal is for each participant to make two negatives to print in the workshop. There will be the opportunity to develop a few B&W negatives (up to 8x10) for use in the workshop if participants have their own cameras and film.

Participants will have hands-on experience of all steps of the carbon printing process. This is primarily a darkroom workshop and work we shall do!

Carbon printing dates back to 1864, the first permanent photographic printing method found. Prints can have a raised relief, and are considered extremely permanent.

https://shop.anseladams.com/products/carbon-printing

Base of Bridal Vail Fall
    8x10 Carbon Print
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WSBaseofBVFalls.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Re: 2023 Carbon Printing Workshop, Yosemite Valley, April 19th to 23rd, 2023

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Hello. I am offering a carbon printing workshop at the Ansel Adams Gallery in Yosemite Valley. Jim Fitzgerald will be my co-instructor. The workshop is limited to 6 participants. The dates are April 19 to 23, 2023.

The workshop is film-based and hands-on. We will have two 8x10s (and film) for participants to use (under as much supervision as needed or wanted) during one or two field trips in Yosemite Valley (weather permitting). Our goal is for each participant to make two negatives to print in the workshop. There will be the opportunity to develop a few B&W negatives (up to 8x10) for use in the workshop if participants have their own cameras and film.

Participants will have hands-on experience of all steps of the carbon printing process. This is primarily a darkroom workshop and work we shall do!

Carbon printing dates back to 1864, the first permanent photographic printing method found. Prints can have a raised relief, and are considered extremely permanent.

https://shop.anseladams.com/products/carbon-printing

Base of Bridal Vail Fall
    8x10 Carbon Print
    Wow, this was the print that inspired me to take up carbon printing many years ago. Now, I am fortunate to co-instruct this workshop with you.
    We have a great time with the students. Last year we had snow one morning. Long days and nights. The nights were filled with awesome food and conversation. No one wanted to leave us! We had some make shift dinners for all. We showed work in Ansel's home and all had a memorable time. Can't wait to do it again. Come join us.

This workshop is two months away, but we still have room.

If you are interested and have questions, please act soon. The Ansel Adams Gallery will hold rooms at the Yosemite Lodge for reservations for one more month. The other option are the Camp Curry tent cabins, much less expensive.

Again, this is a hands-on, film and darkroom based workshop, but the information, material and techniques are the same for those wishing to use explore the use of enlarged inkjet negatives.

A weather-related delay of the start of the third day of the 2022 workshop...a rare over-night snow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AM_Snow_Fog_Class.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

One month too late, and one month too early. I am sad.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

As Vaughn said. A couple of months to go. I know I'm looking forward to it. Please join us if you can.