Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carrying a Sinar P

Carrying a Sinar P

Hi all, couldn’t find this on the archives…maybe my search-fu is not good enough..but I am going to attempt the difficult.

I want to carry my Sinar X to the field. I have so far not ventured more than 20m from the car, with the X in the flight case. The X is hung, supported by its rails in the case upside down, fully assembled with lens. The clamp stays on the tripod carried separately. Yea, it’s heavy…no kidding. But I want to attempt further.. not quite hiking in terrain, but more in the city, sometimes with stairs. I have seen strategies like putting the case in a baby runner, camping trolley, but I want to see schemes to pack the camera in a more compact case. Like, how to fit it into say a Rimowa Pilot Cabin roller case, which I actually have lying around, but can’t quite figure out how to fit the camera in, with the need for minimal reassembly as possible when needed.

So do you guys carry the P/P2/X? Or it lives on the studio stand? Please show how you pack the camera. Thanks.

Pic for visual interest…my Sinar X in action:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A3AABA13-C598-49EE-AD20-6196AD29FE32.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	234066

Oops, just realised this may be better in the Gear forum...apologies if it is, but I don't know how to move it.
    Last edited by pchong; 28-Dec-2022 at 19:29.
    Peter Chong
    Singapore

Re: Carrying a Sinar P

I made a box that held the camera hanging from the rail. I bungeed the box to a backpack frame.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I have a P2 4x5, bought it used for a really good price, couldn't resist. So far it's been in my modest studio space. Seems to fiddly to take into the field, at least for me and my fumble fingers

I like Peter's idea, but ended up with Sinar F/F2 combo. Just understood I'm good with F2 back standard movements.
    Sometimes I carry 5x7 P rear standard with bellows and assemble camera on site.

...I like the baby carriage idea - only with (w.a. equipped) camera instead of baby...ready to photograph folks as they look into the carriage. (sorry, something I ate last night has me awake...and my brain is a bit silly!)

In addition. how do you guys pack your monorail, like the Sinar for air travel?
    Peter Chong
    Singapore

Ken Lee once LFF moderator carried a 5x7 Sinar P in a canvas sack with related stuff in a rolling cooler. Roll down this page to "Carry Your Gear on a Budget"
    https://www.kennethleegallery.com/ht...rmat/index.php

In years past, carried a 5x7 Sinar C/C2 (Sinar P rear, F front) in modified Sinar 4x5 F/F2 gray luggage style case for decades.. It held camera, 4 lenses, sinar shutter, 3 film holders, light meter, dark cloth, GG loupe, cable release and ... used a rolling cart to move it all, including the tripod bungee corded to the rolling cart & case.

These days the 5x7 Sinar Norma lives in a modified Pelican 1610 FAA approved for carry on roller case. 5x7 Norma, Sinar shutter, bag & normal bellows, 4 lenses (115mm+center filter, 165mm, 240mm-300mm_choice, 480mm), cable releases, light meter+spare battery, 100mm square filters & Sinar holder, dark cloth, small tape measure, GG loupe, up to 6 film holders and small misc accessories.

5x7 Norma is complete with lens and shutter on stored camera. To set up, lift the 5x7 Norma out of the case, place Norma on the set up tripod's Sinar rail clamp, snug down the rail clamp, proceed with camera set up. Takes less than 30 seconds to do this. Tripod strapped to the case with bungee cord(s) as needed.

Name:	Sinar Norma, case.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	234084

Set up.. outta doors:

Name:	Sinar Norma, 480mm APO ronar.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	132.8 KB 
ID:	234085

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by pchong View Post
    In addition. how do you guys pack your monorail, like the Sinar for air travel?

But what about a tripod? i can get a TOYO 45G into a rucksack fairly easily but there is no way that I can add a tripod.

Toyo G in sack.. not just tripod, what about all that view camera related "stuff" how is all that currently being made mobile?

Refuse to pack or carry stuff when it can be on wheels,
    Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by steve_p View Post
    But what about a tripod? i can get a TOYO 45G into a rucksack fairly easily but there is no way that I can add a tripod.

Be careful with cameras in rolling cases. I rattled a 4x5 camera apart rolling it over bumpy surfaces and cobblestones once. Fortunately, all the parts were there and reassembly wasn't too difficult. After that, I got a rolling case with backpack straps. When the surface is smooth, I'll roll it, but if not, onto my back it goes.

My tripod always gets carried in a free hand or strapped on to the rear rack on my bicycle. In rough terrain in the field, my gear goes into a lumbar pack. I can strap the tripod onto it if I need both hands for scrambling.

FWIW, I carried a Graphic View II in its big grey case along with tripod, etc. in the field for a few years before getting a field camera. It's doable, but I sure like my lightweight wooden folders for field/landscape work.

In the city, I use the rolling backpack and a bit heavier camera, but I'm not climbing or scrambling over rocks. I photographed my erstwhile home town of Vienna, Austria using that rolling backpack and my bicycle. I carried a Wista SW, five lenses, six holders and accessories that way just fine for years. The same kit works well in other cities and is small enough to not be a hindrance to others on public transportation, etc.

Best,

Doremus