Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any ideas or suggestions for mounting a large lens on a Technika board?

Re: Any ideas or suggestions?

Take a lens board and shutter/lens flange to your friendly local machine shop, have them set up the lens board on a lathe to bore out the hole to fit, drill-tap the holes (make sure the shutter orientation to lens board is clearly marked) for shutter/lens flange, install the shutter/lens flange on the lens board with screws as needed, done.

Do this all the time with non-standard lenses on Sinar lens boards,
    Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by jdurr View Post
    1-no
    2-yes
    3-no

Re: Any ideas or suggestions for mounting a large lens on a Technika board?

Sometimes we need bigger than SINAR as I have some odd camera with big lenses

I mount all my own, as I like doing that and have the skills

I have 4 lenses on 8X8" lens boards

and I want to mount those on a 9" boards sometimes

So I adapted the 8" to 9" with 4 bolts

Both cameras that use these lenses have large Packard Shutters inside the camera

Linhof 8X10 1955 with KODAK 405 all studio only and heavy

Linhof triple Kodak 405 Portrait by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Tin Can

You could just mount the Betax flange properly to the front of the lens board, just checked it on a tech board and no problem. Otherwise, S.K. Grimes can supply the proper retaining ring.

I solved this problen years ago - got a Linhof Kardan. Theses used to be very inexpensive and today they can be had for reasonable prices. If you mount the lens in a 4x5 Technika board and you have the adapter for Kardan, all is well, or you can find a Kardan board of the correct size and use that. Kardan boards are available 3D printed for very reasonable prices too. All the Technika backs will fit on the Kardan too.

Or Sinar or other similar monorail camera.. which appears to be a currently un-popular, un-fashionable yet excellent solution to properly supporting lenses required to meet the image goals.

IMO, 3D printed lens boards are sorta ok, but they are not without problems. From mechanical stability, precision/accuracy of the 3D printed part, finish and more.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by linhofbiker View Post
    I solved this problen years ago - got a Linhof Kardan. Theses used to be very inexpensive and today they can be had for reasonable prices. If you mount the lens in a 4x5 Technika board and you have the adapter for Kardan, all is well, or you can find a Kardan board of the correct size and use that. Kardan boards are available 3D printed for very reasonable prices too. All the Technika backs will fit on the Kardan too.

Fine Art & Architect

I had same problem. have a Linhof,, Wista 4x5 and 8x10. I can use all lenses on all cameras. and a Sinar with an a adapter lens board. but limits choice of lenses due to their size

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Or Sinar or other similar monorail camera.. which appears to be a currently un-popular, un-fashionable yet excellent solution to properly supporting lenses required to meet the image goals.

IMO, 3D printed lens boards are sorta ok, but they are not without problems. From mechanical stability, precision/accuracy of the 3D printed part, finish and more.

Bernice
    Agree about the printed lens boards. I had difficulty with them because they warped in the SoCAl sun.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post

Bernice
    Totally agree. This past year I acquired three standard/flat 3D printed Sinar boards from three different sellers. The were useable, but they were not precision "accessories" by any means. This past month acquired three older Sinar Norma boards to replace the 3D printed boards. I also did acquire a 3D printed recessed Sinar board... Since I couldn't find an OEM recessed Sinar board FS, it totally works for me. Plus was a fraction of the cost of having a custom metal recessed Sinar board fabricated/machined.

See if a plumbing supply house has a tight fitting toilet tank gasket that will fit the lens with the lensboard sandwiched between the Betax and the gasket.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

multiplex

SK Grimes is worth contacting. When Steve was running the shop he helped me fit large things on small boards, sometimes it required something special/custom, Adam and his team are extremely gifted with these sorts of situations as well, like Steve, real engineer-artists!.. good luck!
    Last edited by jnantz; 28-Dec-2022 at 04:51.