Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Photos Used to Generate AI Images for Client So Photographer Never Shoots Again

Photos Used to Generate AI Images for Client So Photographer Never Shoots Again

Image Crime

The Virtual are subjugated into timeless image slavery

Fight for Virtual Rights!

Right OFF

Soul Theft

Photos Used to Generate AI Images for Client So Photographer Never Shoots Again
    https://petapixel.com/2022/12/21/pho...-shoots-again/
    Tin Can

Re: Photos Used to Generate AI Images for Client So Photographer Never Shoots Again

Looks like he is utilizing the latest tech to broaden his ability to serve clients and make money, to me. I thought this was going to be a story about the use of images to train an AI without approval/rights paid to photographer/model, similar to some other recent AI developments.

First to market, good for him.

Pandora's box is OPEN and there's no going back. Best to consider how and what can be utilized.

Full disclosure: I've been playing with the OpenAI Chatbot and utilizing it some in my daily work. I've also had some ideas about AI in the darkroom...
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Re: Photos Used to Generate AI Images for Client So Photographer Never Shoots Again

"Pandora's box is OPEN and there's no going back. Best to consider how and what can be utilized."

Yep.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Yes, but

I wrote this as subtitle satire

As AI, big money, which is a construct, and corporations with extended copyright

Humans are under attack with less rights than ever before

Banks and IRS loading our backs

Corporations have more rights than humans

Mickey Mouse lives Forever

Perhaps Photography does steal souls
    Tin Can

I do think copyright laws are in dire need of a major rework.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Every time exclusive rights to Mickey Mouse come close to expiring, they are extended....
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    You are not alone. And doesn’t matter who benefits.
    Copyright laws are dead end.
    I don’t care much about them in my personal creativity if that matters.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    none of it matters unless you are a big corp.
    if something is on the web, it is assumed orphaned, and if AI is using it
    you would never know, so who cares, it's a waste of time.

Majority of Copyright laws are Civil, not Criminal. This puts the burden of defending Copyrights on the Copyright holder, similar to Patents and other Intellectual Property..

One of the most common ways "bigger fish" eats "smaller fish" is to drag the little fish into court then ever increasing legal cost until the legal cost eats up the little fish.

Laws are not designed to protect little fish as laws are created by Big fish that control... guess ? via $.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by jnantz View Post
    none of it matters unless you are a big corp.
    if something is on the web, it is assumed orphaned, and if AI is using it
    you would never know, so who cares, it's a waste of time.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Majority of Copyright laws are Civil, not Criminal. This puts the burden of defending Copyrights on the Copyright holder, similar to Patents and other Intellectual Property..

One of the most common ways "bigger fish" eats "smaller fish" is to drag the little fish into court then ever increasing legal cost until the legal cost eats up the little fish.

Laws are not designed to protect little fish as laws are created by Big fish that control... guess ? via $.

Bernice
    I know. LOL. laws, police, all of that is to protect capital, it has nothing to do with regular people.

I've worked for people who are thieves and cheats and they are slicker than a greased pig in a mud patch (the laws worked for them).
    Getting back to the AI thing, if it is 10,000 different swatches that are melded together to form new images there is no way copyright law is going to be able to help anyways, it's a joke.
    I would venture to guess than very few people on this website, other photography specialty websites like photo.net, folks who post images on instagram, flicker Facebook &c even bother to register their work,
    with the copyright office so even if it was used to make one of these AI composites they don't have a legal leg to stand on without the registration.
    ... besides if you read the fine print, technically if someone posts work to Facebook or Instagram it becomes the property of Meta, and they register don't register it either.

probably less trouble to have a algorithmic shoot anyways, models are always on time, never complain, and aren't full of themselves .. and you don't have to deal with property owners set designers lighting crews &c. who cares if it's all "photographic illustration" that's all photography is anyways ..