Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: LF Lenses to choose

Re: LF Lenses to choose

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    There's a lot to learn by tying one's bellows into knots a few times! But that is a matter of spend quality time under the darkcloth, learning how the camera and lens sees the world. The 150mm is a great lens to do this with...and your present camera is a good tool to work with...especially since you have it...and the 72mm will demonstrate one of the extremes! Have fun!!
    One time test only and i already found limitations, and later i got busy and didn't continue, so now if i keep testing with the known limitations, what am i gonna learn anyway?!!!

And again, i still want to change/replace the camera regardless that it is very nice and capable of doing things, i just have that bad habit of needing a thing to be full or complete so i focus on another areas, once i replace the camera first then i can test my current lenses, but at the same time i found so cheap used lenses around that i really don't want to miss/pass the deals waiting a miracle to push me back to imaging and then maybe those deals or lenses are gone already, hopefully next year i sort out my life better so i keep time and place for photography and film into my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Professional View Post
    Exactly that is why i asked, 72mm is too wide, it is still excellent lens for landscape and cityscape, but some areas of landscape or cityscape i want to go a bit longer but not as long as 150mm, so something in 100-120mm maybe, so that i was thinking about 90mm or 100mm lenses,
    The 72mm might be too wide for you, but I bet the IC is too big in any event. You might be happier with a 90mm -- and no need for a SUPER XL IC with that either. Wide lenses with super-large ICs are huge, heavy, and expensive. Get lenses that have ICs that fit your needs -- and camera -- which isn't much.

FWIW, I bet you could sell the 72mm XL -- and that would pay for a nice 90mm AND 210mm/250mm with adequate ICs.

First question would be what are your image goals?

Once the image goals are known and well defined, then a lens choice can be made followed by what camera is best able to support this lens choice and image making environment. The two primary advantages of a view camera over any camera that is essentially a box with a lens fixed to it:

~Camera movements.

~Vast choice of optics.

Yes, there are other advantages sheet film images offers, they are more specific.

As for 72mm being "too wide".. that depends on how a 72mm lens is used.. example (72mmSAXL pushed to it's image circle limits on 5x7):
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...-aperture-used

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Professional View Post
    That is right, i tested that 150mm only once, and funny thing is, that one test alone already showed me how limited that 150mm was, so it was either the 150mm was wrong choice which isn't or the thing i was image the location is wrong with 150mm and i should use 150mm elsewhere, so when you think about it you know that either you limit yourself with 150mm on certain things, or you have to choose another lens for the location you did with 150mm and didn't fit, so simple as that, i use another formats too even without movements, i do have tilt shift lenses [digital] which have the idea of large format too, even with that i use two different lenses and i have zero regret with both and can't live with one of them only, and even both aren't enough but i couldn't afford more.

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    The 72mm might be too wide for you, but I bet the IC is too big in any event. You might be happier with a 90mm -- and no need for a SUPER XL IC with that either. Wide lenses with super-large ICs are huge, heavy, and expensive. Get lenses that have ICs that fit your needs -- and camera -- which isn't much.

FWIW, I bet you could sell the 72mm XL -- and that would pay for a nice 90mm AND 210mm/250mm with adequate ICs.
    I don't need to sell my 72XL, i still can use it one day when i know how to use it, i just need to add something esle, that's all, so i am thinking about 90mm normal one not big huge IC as you said, from some old threads here i read that people like something such as 90 SA or Nikkor 90 or even Caltar 90, so i will look at one of those around, and 210mm is another lens i really want to add in my collection, but there are two lenses competing highly with it, which are 240mm and 250mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    First question would be what are your image goals?

Once the image goals are known and well defined, then a lens choice can be made followed by what camera is best able to support this lens choice and image making environment. The two primary advantages of a view camera over any camera that is essentially a box with a lens fixed to it:

~Camera movements.

~Vast choice of optics.

Yes, there are other advantages sheet film images offers, they are more specific.

As for 72mm being "too wide".. that depends on how a 72mm lens is used.. example (72mmSAXL pushed to it's image circle limits on 5x7):
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...-aperture-used

Bernice
    If you read my first post you will see something like this i posted:
    "I want something for landscape, cityscape/nightscape in city if possible, portraits if possible too, and abstract whether as still life or macro".

72XL is too wide but i can use it for some applications just perfect, same with 150mm being too long as well for other applications, so no perfect lens for everything, i mean 72 and 150 will cover many areas but not everything at best, and i know and all know that people need more than 1-2 lenses in general no matter what, so all what i look for is let say a lens between 72 & 150, and another one longer than 150 and i am done.

Quote Originally Posted by djdister View Post
    Ok, thank you very much

Professional, It sounds like you would like a longer lens than your 72mm. I started with a 90mm before my 75mm lens. It does depend on what your visual goals are. The 72mm like my 75mm has a little bit more distortion - especially in the corners. for my business I have used my 90mm probably more often for building exteriors, and with some larger interior rooms etc. The 90mm is a nice lens for landscape images as well. The 72mm / 75mm lens allows exterior and interior images that the 90mm can't get wide enough for (rooms are often smaller than you think - and so are places to set up a tripod and get an exterior building view). If you want to keep on adding lenses a 55mm 58mm lens can get even wider images that the 72mm 75mm lens can't quite get. It goes the other was as well with longer lenses. Sometimes you need to set up across the road and use a longer lens. You also may want to set up a a distance from the subject and use a longer lens. Depending on the need for perspective corrections - the lens may need to have a larger image circle ( lens coverage). The larger the image circle the greater the corrections you can make. For instance taking an image of a tall building that is in front of you. if you want the vertical sides of the building vertical, that requires you to have a lot of rear and front movements. A large image circle of the lens allows for this correction. The 150mm is a great lens, I have a 135mm for quite a while, so I haven't purchased a 150mm lens. All said, it is a learning process, to get all of the elements done correctly. It takes practice, to set the camera up, expose the film so that you get what you want recorded, develop the film correctly, print the film correctly - and then see if what you printed is what you thought it would be. I have been doing this for a long time and I am very happy when an idea works out - they don't always work out.

Well, given what you have a 105 or 110 and a 210 or 240 would give a good spacing.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know