Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: LF Lenses to choose

Re: LF Lenses to choose

Use what you have. When you find yourself wishing for a longer this or shorter that, your needs will become clear and you'll know which lens to get next. E.g., you may find the 72mm too wide for your taste and want something between 72mm and 150mm, or you may find the 150mm woefully too short for some jobs, in which case you'd want something longer. When you get to that point, we can give you a whole lot more specific advice.

Best,

Doremus

At this point, specific view camera is of vastly lesser importance as learning how to view camera is FAR more important than camera or lens.
    Pick either current view camera and make images with it. This is the only way to learn how to view camera.

Once the basic skills, knowledge and abilities have been learned enough, learn how to apply and use camera movements as this is one of the primary reasons for using a view camera.. This previous LFF post can help as will the books suggested on using a view camera.
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...ong-amp-Linhof

As for first lens to use, start with the 150mm on any view camera. The 72mm will be difficult to learn how to view camera with and neither of the current cameras can fully utilize the image circle/camera movement capability of the 72mm SAXL.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Professional View Post
    Yes it is wide open-ended so i don't keep asking each time for certain things, so i try to sum it up all here, definitely i want a wide range or collection of lenses to cover many areas, i mentioned two i am sure about, so i want to go from there.

The current cameras i have are: Shen Hao HZX45-IIA which i want to sell and replace it [or buy another if i can't sell it], and Speed Graphic and Crown Graphic both 4x5, not sure one of them is Pacemaker model and the other is Anniversary, so this SG/CG i can use it more for portraits and maybe still life or nightscape.

Both your lenses are first class - fine lenses for both landscape and urbanscapes! I use older lenses that work just fine. I use my 75mm Grandagon quite often. I use a 135mm Symmar-s also often. There are nearly an infinite manufacturers and types and lengths of lenses. They all capture light and distribute the light to the film slightly differently. But, it is art of the the light capture and pre-planning of it that makes the image. It is about making images - the current equipment is all very good. Image makers in the history of photography often used much less refined lenses and cameras - yet made very outstanding images. Do you have a bag bellows on your camera to use the 72mm lens? Most often I use perspective corrections with the built environment, and also with landscapes. A bag bellows allows more movements for wide angle lenses. I do use a 90mm Grandagon often as well for urban and landscape. Best wishes to you in your endeavors.

There's a lot to learn by tying one's bellows into knots a few times! But that is a matter of spend quality time under the darkcloth, learning how the camera and lens sees the world. The 150mm is a great lens to do this with...and your present camera is a good tool to work with...especially since you have it...and the 72mm will demonstrate one of the extremes! Have fun!!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Without experience, there's no use speculating. Use what you have. If they cover your needs, well, great! If not, you will know which direction to go. Buying stuff is easy. Getting good at LF is not. Like anything, start putting in the work. Instead of gear, buy some film. Use it.
    That is definitely, i am not asking about lenses and just waiting without any work or image, i ask so i can be ready later when i need to buy something, i always use what i have and wait for any new things to add and it never helped, so i separate things, i as what to buy and i sue what i have, i try never connect them together as many do, buy only after you use what you have, not necessary, it is like games, i don't buy football game if i didn't play fighting game, and even if i have a football game it doesn't mean i shouldn't buy another different football game because i didn't play what i have first, different oranges will be different no matter they are still oranges, so i have two lenses that can do a lot, i will never stop there until i use them first to figure out what is next.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulophot View Post
    Professional, Peter's reply above is the best advice for anyone. It applies to large format as much as to any other and to many other fields of art, craft, etc.

Many of us recall getting interested in photography at a youthful age. Simply having one camera and one lens was exciting! We photographed everything that interested us with enthusiasm and anticipation of the results. Over time, we may have discovered that some subjects could be more easily or successfully approached with other equipment, or we found a "look" that a certain lens would help to create. But don't put the cart in front of the horse.

See this: https://www.largeformatphotography.i...ic-bullet.html

Have fun!
    I understand his point and your point clearly, let me add something.

I don't do or use large format actually, but i want to use them beside other photographic gear i have, and i keep things like if i use this then i use that the same, for digital or even film i do have different formats, i have 35mm and medium format, with both i never got enough with 2-4 lenses, not even 6 lenses, yes i use few lenses more, but they never do everything alone, so i believe if that is true with other formats why it is not true with large format, and i mentioned what i want to do even with large format, and looking at so many images around here i can see many many members using different lenses for their one camera or two, it wasn't like [I only use 1-2 lenses forever and no more], sure they use 1-2 most, but not only, and i asked now it doesn't mean i will buy tomorrow, but to be ready, i still have other hobbies that i even didn't do much with it, so i have time, but i take this time waiting for research and learning, and many lenses were available as brand new or used and many are gone, so waiting to decide later when i am ready and know not always good idea, and i will never regret buying extra stuff if i didn't use my current stuff much yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    +1 to Peter and Philip above.

The 150mm is a good focal length for a wide variety of things so I would start by using that and then consider other focal lengths if after some practice you find you often want a shorter or longer focal length. It’s difficult to recommend anything otherwise.
    That is why i have 150mm and later on in the past i added 72mm, there are areas where 150mm can't do more than 72mm and vise versa, and both also can't do more compared to another lenses such as 210/240 for example and whatever, i cover many areas which i am sure two lenses aren't enough, i won't give up those two lenses and i never said i don't like them both, i just will use them one way or another but i have too keep going and not stop on those two first only, simply put, i tested 150mm and it was limited in some areas, i didn't test 72mm for some reason but it covered me another areas, but there are few things i couldn't cover with both but i didn't ask and didn't bother to find out another lenses until now, i got busy in life and carried out, now i am trying to be back and i remember that both lenses couldn't cover everything but they do cover many things anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    Use what you have. When you find yourself wishing for a longer this or shorter that, your needs will become clear and you'll know which lens to get next. E.g., you may find the 72mm too wide for your taste and want something between 72mm and 150mm, or you may find the 150mm woefully too short for some jobs, in which case you'd want something longer. When you get to that point, we can give you a whole lot more specific advice.

Best,

Doremus
    Exactly that is why i asked, 72mm is too wide, it is still excellent lens for landscape and cityscape, but some areas of landscape or cityscape i want to go a bit longer but not as long as 150mm, so something in 100-120mm maybe, so that i was thinking about 90mm or 100mm lenses, at the same time 150mm is perfect for general things but too long for more landscape/cityscape i like to do and hence i bought 72mm, but it is also short or not that special lens i want to use for other areas like macro or close portraits or even some still life images, i even didn't add more areas such as wildlife or sports or astro or studio photography, i found out that those two lenses can cover about 50-65% of what i like to do, i don't accept any less than 85-95% coverage of applications.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    At this point, specific view camera is of vastly lesser importance as learning how to view camera is FAR more important than camera or lens.
    Pick either current view camera and make images with it. This is the only way to learn how to view camera.

Once the basic skills, knowledge and abilities have been learned enough, learn how to apply and use camera movements as this is one of the primary reasons for using a view camera.. This previous LFF post can help as will the books suggested on using a view camera.
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...ong-amp-Linhof

As for first lens to use, start with the 150mm on any view camera. The 72mm will be difficult to learn how to view camera with and neither of the current cameras can fully utilize the image circle/camera movement capability of the 72mm SAXL.

Bernice
    That is right, i tested that 150mm only once, and funny thing is, that one test alone already showed me how limited that 150mm was, so it was either the 150mm was wrong choice which isn't or the thing i was image the location is wrong with 150mm and i should use 150mm elsewhere, so when you think about it you know that either you limit yourself with 150mm on certain things, or you have to choose another lens for the location you did with 150mm and didn't fit, so simple as that, i use another formats too even without movements, i do have tilt shift lenses [digital] which have the idea of large format too, even with that i use two different lenses and i have zero regret with both and can't live with one of them only, and even both aren't enough but i couldn't afford more.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Opheim View Post
    Both your lenses are first class - fine lenses for both landscape and urbanscapes! I use older lenses that work just fine. I use my 75mm Grandagon quite often. I use a 135mm Symmar-s also often. There are nearly an infinite manufacturers and types and lengths of lenses. They all capture light and distribute the light to the film slightly differently. But, it is art of the the light capture and pre-planning of it that makes the image. It is about making images - the current equipment is all very good. Image makers in the history of photography often used much less refined lenses and cameras - yet made very outstanding images. Do you have a bag bellows on your camera to use the 72mm lens? Most often I use perspective corrections with the built environment, and also with landscapes. A bag bellows allows more movements for wide angle lenses. I do use a 90mm Grandagon often as well for urban and landscape. Best wishes to you in your endeavors.
    Very true and you are all correct, that 150mm actually came with the Shen Hao camera as a package, i didn't buy it separately alone, so i kept it, it is almost like a kit lens, didn't find any wrong with it to get rid of it, but because i am more of landscape/urban guy so 150mm was limited, and i was so amazed by 60-90mm range of lenses, and i found brand new 72mm which i felt it is super wide enough for many applications i want to do outdoor, or even indoor if i want to cover wider FoV, i didn't test or use the lens yet as i bought a bag or recessed bellow for it and it limited the movement a lot so i didn't know how to use it properly then didn't have time to do so, in that case i was thinking about another wide lens not as wide as 72XL but it allow me for more movements, see, even without using anything i can tell immediately what is wrong and what is missing, people spend long time and many results to decide after, i don't need that, i can decide from one time or test immediately.