Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to large format

Hello

Hello everyone!
    Last edited by jordanka16; 31-Mar-2023 at 23:07.

Re: New to large format

Welcome to the FORUM and the wide, wild world of large format photography. Many dip their toes in the water and decide it's not for them, while others decide to dive in!

A great book to get started is "View Camera Technique", by Stroebel. There are several versions of the book, but they are pretty much all the same.

Let us know how it goes for you.

Welcome!
    Tin Can

Greetings, jordanka16! You have found the right place for LF. You've got some great fun ahead!

Individuals respond to various books differently. For me, Stroebel has long been a stock reference. You are probably aware of Adams's three-book series, The Camera, The Negative, The Print. I find his writing especially engaging and the illustrations and captions enormously valuable teachers. I go back all the time when an issue comes up that I'm having trouble with. He was both scientist and artist, and the books manage to pack in an extraordinary amount from his knowledge and experience. Pay attention to his emphasis that the Zone System is means to an end, a way {to use the craft in the service of expression}, not to create the so-called perfect negative that needs nothing more than a straight contact print.

Also, there is a tremendous amount of valuable information in articles on the home page of this site.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Nicholas O. Lindan

Quote Originally Posted by jordanka16 View Post
    ... I bought a Sekonic spot meter ... I plan to practice the zone system
    Also get hold of a plain-ol'-nothing-fancy meter - use it to take one non-zone exposure as back-up.
    Darkroom Automation / Cleveland Engineering Design, LLC
    f-Stop Timers & Enlarging meters http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Ulophot View Post
    Greetings, jordanka16! You have found the right place for LF. You've got some great fun ahead!

Individuals respond to various books differently. For me, Stroebel has long been a stock reference. You are probably aware of Adams's three-book series, The Camera, The Negative, The Print. I find his writing especially engaging and the illustrations and captions enormously valuable teachers. I go back all the time when an issue comes up that I'm having trouble with. He was both scientist and artist, and the books manage to pack in an extraordinary amount from his knowledge and experience. Pay attention to his emphasis that the Zone System is means to an end, a way {to use the craft in the service of expression}, not to create the so-called perfect negative that needs nothing more than a straight contact print.

Also, there is a tremendous amount of valuable information in articles on the home page of this site.
    I have and have read those 3 books a few times, though I should probably brush up again. Sadly I'll be missing the darkroom printing part, at least for now, but I'm going to scan them and probably get a few prints that way, perhaps there's similar but different techniques for photo editing software, I'll have to play around with it and see, that's new ground as well.

Quote Originally Posted by nolindan View Post
    Also get hold of a plain-ol'-nothing-fancy meter - use it to take one non-zone exposure as back-up.
    I've been using an app on my phone for a long time actually. Years ago I would make a quick check for my street photography as a proof of sunny 16 estimate and it seemed to work pretty well. I suspect the newer phones are even better. I would like to eventually get something to use with flash, so a Sekonic L-358 has been on my radar since it would work well as a general purpose meter too.

Welcome, Jordan!

Quote Originally Posted by jordanka16 View Post
    I have pretty much dived in, lol. Along with the film I bought a Sekonic spot meter, like many here I'm sure I'm a big fan of Ansel Adams, I plan to practice the zone system more, which would seem to only really work with sheet film. I'm just waiting for a day with good light to get some photos that would be more interesting than just plain gray. I live in Oregon and it's pretty drab this time of year, not much sun.

I will check out that book for sure, always looking for more good books to read on the subject.
    While waiting for a day with "good light" you will be missing some of the most beautiful light. Photographing on cloudy days is like using a huge soft box.
    Set up your new camera and get busy!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    While waiting for a day with "good light" you will be missing some of the most beautiful light. Photographing on cloudy days is like using a huge soft box.
    Set up your new camera and get busy!
    Oh I have been! That was mostly a joke, really I'm hoping for a bright sunny day to shoot some plates with more light, I haven't had much luck with the long exposures with my home coated plates.

I brought my camera to Christmas and everyone wanted a picture, I brought all 8 of my film holders and used everyone one, only messed up 2 sheets, lol.

Here's a sample pic, I just "scanned" it with my phone as my scanner isnt here yet. I shot it with my Ektar 203mm f7.7. Some more space behind or a closer shot probably would have been better. I would love to hear some ideas or criticism, I'm far from a portrait photographer, it's something I would really like to work on.

You blocking of the person's face reminds me of Stalin's "unpeople".