Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to large format

Re: New to large format

Welcome aboard.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by cuypers1807 View Post
    You blocking of the person's face reminds me of Stalin's "unpeople".
    Lol, he's my brother and I didn't ask him to use his picture so I didn't want to post his face. I didn't think the dog would mind.

You might as well as not to look forward to anything nice in the future such as a nice car, or a nice dinner with a loved one, or a nice watch, or a vacation. Cause all your cashola is gone. J/K, you are gonna have an awesome time. My boss once told me "don't bother getting remarried, just meet someone, have a good time, then hand them the keys to your million dollar house and save the middleman and hassle.

Only messed up 2 shots? Heck you are doing better than I am, and I've been doing this since the 80's.

Okay, for reals, some tips. Don't skimp on developing. Don't be so eager to process lots of sheets. Start with one, and do it one by one. Yah, it'll take half a day. But you will not hate yourself after setting up, taking hours for a shot, only to have a scratch on it cause you were excited to process a few sheets at once.

Spend more money on film, not lenses. Unless you have a great suga (momma, daddy, or whatever let's keep it PC).

Another tip, just have fun man. You'll be surprised how many people chat with you when you whip out the old wood. I mean, wooden 8x10 or 4x5. This week, I was at the Whitney, and I saw a guy with a Hassy x2d or whatever that $10,000 digital camera is. I showed him my Hassy 500 and we had a great time chatting.

Is that a cayote??
    --

Quote Originally Posted by nolindan View Post
    Also get hold of a plain-ol'-nothing-fancy meter - use it to take one non-zone exposure as back-up.
    Good idea -- but make it a plain-ol'-INCIDENT meter.

Quote Originally Posted by ericantonio View Post
    You might as well as not to look forward to anything nice in the future such as a nice car, or a nice dinner with a loved one, or a nice watch, or a vacation. Cause all your cashola is gone. J/K, you are gonna have an awesome time. My boss once told me "don't bother getting remarried, just meet someone, have a good time, then hand them the keys to your million dollar house and save the middleman and hassle.

Only messed up 2 shots? Heck you are doing better than I am, and I've been doing this since the 80's.

Okay, for reals, some tips. Don't skimp on developing. Don't be so eager to process lots of sheets. Start with one, and do it one by one. Yah, it'll take half a day. But you will not hate yourself after setting up, taking hours for a shot, only to have a scratch on it cause you were excited to process a few sheets at once.

Spend more money on film, not lenses. Unless you have a great suga (momma, daddy, or whatever let's keep it PC).

Another tip, just have fun man. You'll be surprised how many people chat with you when you whip out the old wood. I mean, wooden 8x10 or 4x5. This week, I was at the Whitney, and I saw a guy with a Hassy x2d or whatever that $10,000 digital camera is. I showed him my Hassy 500 and we had a great time chatting.

Is that a cayote??
    Hah, it certainly can get pretty expensive, I've been using FPP frankenstein rather than my preferred ilford films since it's about half the price. I do like it though, that picture I posted was taken with it. I figure if I'm going to make mistakes and wasted some film anyway it's better to waste the cheaper film. The 2 sheets I wasted are probably classic mistakes, first was leaving the shutter open and removing the darkslide, and second was not switching the darkslide to show exposed so I didn't know which side I shot, oh well.

I'm using a stearmann press tank which will do 4 sheets at once and I really like it, only being able to do 4 at once isn't that big of a deal, and they are really easy to load. If they weren't $100 I'd probably just buy a second one and use both at once.

Luckily it seems there's not shortage of good photo equipment being sold for cheap where I live, craigslist always seems to have something. Just yesterday I got a good deal on a Toyo 45a, the extra movements will be nice over the Graphic and having to flip my camera to shoot portraits was more of a pain than I thought it would be. Plus with the camera flipped I lose my movements which I didn't think of initially.

We're not sure what she is, some kind of sheepdog mix but people think she's a coyote all the time. It's bad enough my brother won't let her wander off leash around here because there are so many sheep farmers if she wandered too near the sheep a farmer might think she is a coyote and shoot her.
    Last edited by jordanka16; 2-Jan-2023 at 02:29.

That's no coyote, but some people will shoot at anything on their property.

Just one sign out here in the Wild West:

KEEP OUT
    TRESPASSERS WILL BE VIOLATED