Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New spot meter - Pentax VI scale

Re: New spot meter - Pentax VI scale

Unlike Drew, I like my Zone stickers and have one on all of my meters. Ignore the fake grey scale though; it's not meant to be an accurate representation. The nice thing about using the Pentax meter with the Zone sticker together with the Zone System is that you can simply set the meter index mark opposite whichever Zone you want to place the shadow in and read your exposure off the dial, no stopping down from the meter reading needed. It's no big deal, just saves a step.

Doremus

I got my Pentax spot meter 40 years ago, cut a piece of white tape to fit and penned in Zone numbers in the appropriate places. I still use the meter and have only had to replace the tape twice. It still works great.

I think you'll be happy with your meter. I have the Pentax digital meter and love it. The Zone VI scale you have is probably an aftermarket scale added by a previous user. If it was Zone VI modified, there would be a sticker on it saying it was modified by Zone VI Studios, Newfane, VT. At least that is how the modified Soligor I used to have was labeled. And I didn't see any difference either.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

That scale is correct. I have used one on each of my Pentax meters. The oldest was obtained when they were first offered. It is a wonderful tool!

Drew Wiley

A "Zone" is a full stop increment. The meter by itself came with 1/3 EV increments, certainly a lot more accurate, especially with color film. And with a conspicuous mark at the midpoint (equivalent to Z5) is it really all that difficult to figure out what two or three EV's plus or minus equate to? Even I can do that in under a second just counting fingers. But I'm surprised Fred Picker didn't try to sell a sundial off his patent medicine wagon with only eight marked segments on its rim.

I mounted my Zone scales so the 1/3 stop marks on the meter still show. Obviously that allows me to set more accurate exposures and know what Zone they should develop to.

Thank you all for the advice and info. I was more curious at the way it was set up. Not knowing its previous owener etc. I use the zone system with my sekonic but as i dont have a scale i just use my brain hahaha

Although @Doremus is correct. Its pretty easy with the scale on it. I actually have a new one which i will stick on if i feel the need. Pretty impressed with the pentax. The sekonic is more of a swiss army knife and has backlight for those night time shoots. Would never get rid of it. The Pentax is pretty uselues with strobes for me but perfect for outdoor work. WIll be using it regular for my 4x5 work. Thanks again all and a belated Merry Christmas!