Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New spot meter - Pentax VI scale

New spot meter - Pentax VI scale

Good evening all

I hope you are all well.

Today I purchase a pentax spot metere (digital)

It was in mint condition and at a stupid price relative to what they are going for so I couldnt say no.

I have always used my digital sekonic and been very happy with that and the results. I have mostly worked in studio with it so it has been a valuable peice of kit.

But i thought I would give the pentax a try as so many swear by it for landscape etc

One thing puzzles me. It arrived with a VI scale on it. But zone 5 is almost black and not middle grey. Pictures attached.

AM i to assume its been modified or just a visual aid for the previous owner? I have tested against a similar pentax and seems to meter the sam and also the same against the sekonic 558R

Many thanks!

Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20221219_170225.jpg   20221219_170222.jpg   20221219_170220.jpg  

Re: New spot meter - Pentax VI scale

That's very interesting regarding the scale. Don't worry about the shade. But in actuality, V is a bit darker than we might think of a "middle" gray. Does it also have a decal on the handle, Zone VI Modified? Or, might it have once had a decal on the handle?

It's possible that it's a modified meter. Check it against the Sekonic for various shades of green and see how they compare? The modified meters tend to read green a little differently. The only way to tell for sure, is to send it to Richard Ritter and have him calibrate the meter. (A good idea, under any circumstances.) I recently had him calibrate three meters for me, and as I recall, one with a similar scale was not a modified meter. Another was considerably off, until he calibrated it.

These meters are work horses. They measure only to the nearest third stop. But, that's sufficient in the field.

The I.R.E. scale obscured by the quasi-religious sticker is considerably more useful for indexing exposures.

Theres no other markings, except for the pentax sticker on the back.

I will test it against greens along side the sekonic tomorrow once i get home.

Does RIchard have a website?? Would love to send mine to him.

Appreciate the info and help!

It's just a printed sticker.....it indicates the Zone..... but the colour on the sticker is meaningless.
    Many stickers were sold that fit that meter. Only the meters sold by Fred Picker were modified.
    An email from Richard in spring 22......he no longer modifies the meters.... calibration .yes

"The Zone VI modification is no longer available.
    Meter calibration is $108 this includes return shipping in the US. Turn around 3 to 7 days.
    Pentax Honeywell meter with the high and low scale cannot be calibrated.

Since the last time a Zone VI zone dial was sold would be 17 years ago I would say the dial just got darker with age. It is only a aid. The true zone color was never right.

As far as being modified no. A lot of photographers assume that if it has a zone dial it is modified. It has to have a black sticker on the side of the meter that said it is Modified by Zone VI Studios.

For a new sticker go to the main page of this forum there a PDF file on how to make one.
    Richard T Ritter
    www.lg4mat.net

Most home printers could do better than that halftone these days.

Drew Wiley

Just remove the silly supplemental Zone scale. It's basically useless, or at least redundant, anyway.

Your film doesn't care how dark the sticker looks. If you've otherwise done your testing, it will be fine.