Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Post Your First Successful LF Picture

Re: Post Your First Successful LF Picture

Wow...tough. I made my first LF image in 1979. I was pretty pleased with it. But this one being more important because it showed me how the taking of an image and the making of the print are tightly connected. And it was the first time I tried flashing (upper left).

4x5, 16x20 print, Manila Dunes, Humboldt County, CA ca 1980
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Branches, Manila Dunes, CA_16x20.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Ootsk View Post
    Well done! That's an amazing photo.

Excellent photograph! This really speaks to me. This is a graphic depiction of what severe depression feels like. Been there, done that.
    I made a very similar photograph while of was suffering clinical depression. That was probably the first and only time I expressed what I was feeling in a photograph. I gave a print to the therapist I was seeing at the time to help her understand where I was. I think she was moved by it.

Here's my photographic take on severe depression.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	depression.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	239.0 KB 
ID:	233905

I wouldn't call either of our photos pretty pictures but both are evocative. At least to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Wow...tough. I made my first LF image in 1979. I was pretty pleased with it. But this one being more important because it showed me how the taking of an image and the making of the print are tightly connected. And it was the first time I tried flashing (upper left).

4x5, 16x20 print, Manila Dunes, Humboldt County, CA ca 1980
    [
    Never is always wrong; always is never right.

www.LostManPhoto.com
    www.MarkStahlkePhotography.com

I think mine is gorgeous.

My depths of depression were not photographically representable. I take that back, this is close...(titled, Lost in the 0 Zone, Polaroid Type 55 print)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LostIn0zone.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stahlke View Post
    ...I'd love to see the first shot you were really happy with...
    From the title of the thread I thought you might mean the first shot that avoided all of the potential pitfalls of LF photography, but I get it now...

The first (and one of the few) shots that I feel I can give myself a (modest) pat on the back for.

I think it turned out so well because I researched it throughly, arrived and checked it out the night before, and was was lucky to get just the conditions I wanted in the morning (mist on the water).

Crummock Water fish ladder by Peter Brooks

This was taken with a homemade 5x7 MDF box camera with a fixed (hyperfocal) focus Nikkor-SW 90mm f8 lens. Fomapan 100 in Rodinal. No cropping.

Contact print. It was a bright dawn, so quite a lot of burning in to the hills and sky areas (which I don't find easy on a contact print).

The scanner (an Epson V750) no doubt softened the image but Flickr sharpened it again, and all in all I think it is a pretty accurate representation of the print.

Happy holidays everyone!

Happy holidays to you as well, Peter. That's quite a first image. I should do so well after decades!
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

I would love to share my 1st LF negative if I could it find it. It was made in 1938.

fantastic! quick question, how did you scan it?

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I think mine is gorgeous.

My depths of depression were not photographically representable. I take that back, this is close...(titled, Lost in the 0 Zone, Polaroid Type 55 print)

Quote Originally Posted by peter brooks View Post
    From the title of the thread I thought you might mean the first shot that avoided all of the potential pitfalls of LF photography, but I get it now...

The first (and one of the few) shots that I feel I can give myself a (modest) pat on the back for.

I think it turned out so well because I researched it throughly, arrived and checked it out the night before, and was was lucky to get just the conditions I wanted in the morning (mist on the water).

Crummock Water fish ladder by Peter Brooks

This was taken with a homemade 5x7 MDF box camera with a fixed (hyperfocal) focus Nikkor-SW 90mm f8 lens. Fomapan 100 in Rodinal. No cropping.

Contact print. It was a bright dawn, so quite a lot of burning in to the hills and sky areas (which I don't find easy on a contact print).

Moody and beautiful!

The scanner (an Epson V750) no doubt softened the image but Flickr sharpened it again, and all in all I think it is a pretty accurate representation of the print.

Happy holidays everyone!

Among the first large-format photos I was happy with. Made the same month I acquired a Deardorff 5x7 as my first large format camera, November 2011. Taken at the Fitzgerald Marine Reserve in Moss Beach, California, on the same day: Monterey cypress, and she-who-must-be-photographed. (I never should have sold that camera--but maybe you've heard that before.)

201011_02_01 by William Poole, on Flickr

201011_02_03 by William Poole, on Flickr
    Bill Poole

"Speak softly, but carry a big camera."