Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Probably a dumb question - how to see or adjust LF aperture from behind the camera?

Re: Probably a dumb question - how to see or adjust LF aperture from behind the came

Probably not relevant, but Sinar Shutters (Norma Green or Modern Black), and Sinar "Rabbit Ear" Lens Boards, allow setting shutter speed and aperture from behind the camera. There are basically four levels to the system; Barrel Mount with No Automation , Barrel or Regular Shutter Mount, with Aperture Cable Only (Direct Operating), and finally the Deluxe, Rabbit Ears with spring-loaded aperture control (this last one stops down the lens to taking aperture when you close the shutter blades. Deluxe Deluxe is shutter cable, closes the shutter and stops down the lens, when you insert a plate in the camera back. These do work well for me, I have some of each. I appreciated the operating speed when I was shooting in fleeting light
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Re: Probably a dumb question - how to see or adjust LF aperture from behind the came

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    How about an erasable grease pencil? You mark it before you turn it to face you then turn it back and line up the marks.
    Yeah, that was Pieter’s suggestion as well

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    Probably not relevant, but Sinar Shutters (Norma Green or Modern Black), and Sinar "Rabbit Ear" Lens Boards, allow setting shutter speed and aperture from behind the camera. There are basically three levels to the system; Barrel Mount with No Automation , Barrel Mount with Aperture Cable Only (Direct Operating), and finally the Deluxe, Rabbit Ears with spring-loaded aperture control (this last one stops down the lens to taking aperture when you close the shutter blades. Deluxe Deluxe is shutter cable, closes the shutter and stops down the lens, when you insert a plate in the camera back. These do work well for me, I have some of each. I appreciated the operating speed when I was shooting in fleeting light
    Interesting - I have not seen that variation.

Question/problem was solved decades ago by Sinar shutter with Sinar DB/DBM mount lenses.

Sinar DB mount lenses have built in aperture only with the shutter mounted on camera. When used in combo, the lenses are full lens aperture at rest. The exposure aperture is set using a scale on the side of the shutter. Inserting the film holder into the GG back film holder slot presses on a cable linked to the shutter. This closes the shutter aperture blades preparing the shutter for film exposure. Pressing on the shutter's cable release winds the shutter, stops down the lens aperture to the f-stop set on the side dial, cycles the shutter to the set exposure time. Releasing the shutter cable resets the shutter and lens for another exposure cycle. Once the exposure aperture is set on the Sinar shutter scale, there is no need to reach at the front of the lens (nothing on the lens to set anyway), just the shutter open button on the side and cable release. This system is faster to use with the ability to reduce film into camera exposure errors due to forgetting to stop down the lens, close the shutter before exposure..

This Sinar system works on Sinar Norma to P/P2/X/F/F+/F1/F2..
    Sinar lens/shutter brochure:
    https://www.pacificrimcamera.com/rl/02097/02097.pdf

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Modified Dutch Hill Norma2.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	233746

Name:	Sinar shutter back.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	233747

DB/DBM mount lenses & lens in shutter.

Name:	Symmar S, sinar DB.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	50.2 KB 
ID:	233748

Berince

Deardorff Studio Cameras had optional levers and knobs to adjust everything from behind decades before SINAR

Hard to find with all bells and whistles, 2 for sale right now, not me, Blue Moon has one

Tilts, swings even aperture, bulb and hose shutter allows any position

Front and rear focus

I considered adding complications last decade

Now it's exercise

Mine shoots to 75" bellows, to high ceiling, 5X7, 8X 10, 11X14 and upside down

Upside down Macro by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Tin Can

Trade in all my gear for a Sinar or Deardorff? It's a lot simpler to just hire my brother-in-law!

The brother-in-law has the option of push to "dispose"

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    Trade in all my gear for a Sinar or Deardorff? It's a lot simpler to just hire my brother-in-law!

multiplex

people who are vision impaired sometimes have raised dots that have an adhesive. you might think about putting on on your shutter so either it stops your fstop ring or you know where to move it to from behind the camera. that said I documented a quarry and was on the rim 300 feet from the floor. I wore a rock climbing diaper and was attached to a deadman or tree so I wouldn't fall far. I always went around the camera to adjust the fstop. you might consider safety equipment if you are in a dangerous situation. the strap they used could take a 2000lbs dead drop.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    The brother-in-law has the option of push to "dispose"

Bernice

And in defense, you can always state, "I always thought he was a clumsy fellow!"

With short lenses, you can look over the top of the camera pretty easily, but with long lenses that is nearly impossible -- unless you are Simone Biles.

Fortunately, when I'm near the edge of a cliff, I'm usually using a wide lens -- or if not, I can move back a foot or two to negate the problem -- and bump into my brother-in-law at the same time, by mistake, of course.