Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Re: Converting my Omega D-2 enlarger to LED illumination

I like

Good work and very clean

Thanks for posting
    Tin Can

Very cool!

A couple of thoughts come to mind. If there are 12 units at 1 amp each, then I'm assuming this setup will be drawing 12 amps. It might cause a circuit breaker to trip if you have anything else hooked up to that circuit at the same time.

I also wonder how the fans will affect enlarger vibration. Do you turn the fans off for exposure, or leave them on? If you turn them off for exposure, how hot do things get, and how fast? I guess you'll find that out when you make some test prints. Looking forward to your results.
    Repenting Sinar Blasphemer ... stonings at 11

Quote Originally Posted by sharktooth View Post
    Very cool!

A couple of thoughts come to mind. If there are 12 units at 1 amp each, then I'm assuming this setup will be drawing 12 amps. It might cause a circuit breaker to trip if you have anything else hooked up to that circuit at the same time.

I also wonder how the fans will affect enlarger vibration. Do you turn the fans off for exposure, or leave them on? If you turn them off for exposure, how hot do things get, and how fast? I guess you'll find that out when you make some test prints. Looking forward to your results.

2.8 volts each, on a 20 amp circuit. There is no discernable vibration. I thought about plugging the fan into the satellite outlet on the timer so it goes off when the lights are on, but for now I'm going to monitor it manually.
    thx!

Quote Originally Posted by ASA1000 View Post
    2.8 volts each, on a 20 amp circuit.
    Thanks for reminding me "gently" why I never became an electrical engineer.

Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by sharktooth View Post
    A couple of thoughts come to mind. If there are 12 units at 1 amp each, then I'm assuming this setup will be drawing 12 amps.
    12 units

It might cause a circuit breaker to trip if you have anything else hooked up to that circuit at the same time.
    White LEDs, so forward voltage around 3V. At 1A that's 3W each, 12 units makes 36W. From a 110V socket that's roughly 3A without any losses; let's assume 90% efficiency in the driver (which would be abysmal), makes 3.3A. No problem at all.

No doubt the setup will work just fine. At 36W it'll take that aluminum chuck a minute or two to warm up to any appreciable temperature even without a fan. As said in the video the fan is plenty effective.

@ASA1000 if I were you I'd look into the airflow around that fan to make sure it doesn't blow any dust onto the negative stage. I'm not too concerned about vibrations; I'm running an even more challenging setup with two fairly powerful fans at pretty high speed and it doesn't cause any issues whatsoever.

This video nicely shows that a LED conversion can be easy as pie. Personally I'd have gone for a blue/green combination so there's no more need for filters, but it's more work and white LEDs and old-style filters will work fine just as well.

Quote Originally Posted by koraks View Post
    White LEDs, so forward voltage around 3V. At 1A that's 3W each, 12 units makes 36W. From a 110V socket that's roughly 3A without any losses; let's assume 90% efficiency in the driver (which would be abysmal), makes 3.3A. No problem at all.

No doubt the setup will work just fine. At 36W it'll take that aluminum chuck a minute or two to warm up to any appreciable temperature even without a fan. As said in the video the fan is plenty effective.

@ASA1000 if I were you I'd look into the airflow around that fan to make sure it doesn't blow any dust onto the negative stage. I'm not too concerned about vibrations; I'm running an even more challenging setup with two fairly powerful fans at pretty high speed and it doesn't cause any issues whatsoever.

This video nicely shows that a LED conversion can be easy as pie. Personally I'd have gone for a blue/green combination so there's no more need for filters, but it's more work and white LEDs and old-style filters will work fine just as well.
    At least ASA1000 did it "gently". Koraks gets a 15 yard penalty for "piling on".

Well, you're not too hot on electrical engineering, and I happen to have no interest in sports, so I think we can call it even.

.... and Mr Can can Kirchhoff, too. My knee was clearly on the ground for all to see.