Thread: Comment on Tachihara

Comment on Tachihara

Hello

Watching the following Tachihara:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125662991597

I currently have 2 Tachihara's but this model looks nothing like it. It seems more robust but probably also heavier. Do anyone here has experience with this model? Greatly enjoy the Tachis I have but not entirely sure about this one.

Thanks.

Re: Comment on Tachihara

It looks like the seller might have touched up the wood with a light coat of oil to me -- as the wood looks darker than most of the ones I've seen. Another possibility is that this model is make from rosewood instead of the more common cherrywood.

The build seems a little better than some Tachiharas I have seen. They made several models over the years. I had a 4x5 Hope in cherrywood a while ago -- as I recall it had back focus. This one appears to lack that. I sold it on EBAY for $500.

Rosewood is slightly heavier than cherrywood -- but not by much -- although it costs more. I have both a rosewood and a cherrywood Toko 4x5, and they have the same quality built. I don't see any difference in the quality based on the wood.

It looks like a Wista Field 45 rather than a Tachihara 45GF.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

In Japan, their home market, Tachihara offered many variations on their 4x5 camera - superwide, double- and triple-extension models with a range of wood, bellows and metal hardware choices. Most of these I've never seen anywhere except on their website, which was taken down long ago. Occasionally one of the more exotic combinations shows up on eBay.

The toggles for tightening down the front standards are replaced with a swinging lever, which is nice. Students broke a couple of the toggles.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Maris Rusis View Post
    It looks like a Wista Field 45 rather than a Tachihara 45GF.
    Yep.

Thanks for the info guys. Makes more sense that it is something else besides a Tachi but seems a good camera.

Wista cameras have a fine reputation. I think that the rounded corners at the top of the front standard are characteristic of that brand.

Lachlan 717

It’s a Wista. Look at the two dimples in the front standard, the semicircular cut-out on the bass and the brass latch on the top plate.

http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Wista_Field_45
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Ended up buying camera. Will comment out once it arrives. Thanks for the info guys. Indeed it looks like a Wista. No problem at all since it looks like a fine camera.