Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: On The Hunt For Bellows Materials

On The Hunt For Bellows Materials

Anyone experienced bellows makers out there know if this stuff is thin enough for bellows? Thanks!

https://www.thorlabs.com/thorproduct.cfm?partnumber=BK5

Re: On The Hunt For Bellows Materials

Specs on that BK5 is .005" thick, that's about a sheet of 20lb copier paper, my experiments
    with it are it's not fully light proof you would need to double up on it or rely on the outer bellows
    covering to make it fully light proof providing your outer covering is light proof too.

Take a look at these previous postings where I chimed in on bellows materials , note I mention Player Piano company as a source for
    the inner bellows lining, they are out of business since those posts are years old -

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...&highlight=BK5

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...ight=THor+labs

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...ight=THor+labs

Suitable material is hard to find everywhere it seems. I used curtain blockout material for my home-made 5x7 camera. It's thicker than I wanted but the bellows turned out well anyway, yet with less draw than calculated due to the extra material thickness.

For a little non-folding 2x3 I'm making I had the bright idea of using changing bag fabric, which seemed to me ideal, and gutted a spare changing bag for the purpose. I wanted the folds to be small, but went so small for the paper ribs that it became difficult to fold the bellows. I still have some material left, so for the next try I'll increase the rib size and have fewer folds.

Changing bag material is perfect as far as I can see. The only drawback if you can't find a supplier is that you have to sacrifice a changing bag or two, although having to join material isn't ideal.

I wonder where Custom Bellows UK get its material? It always seems to be perfect, probably a trade secret. But the pound is very low against the USD right now which makes getting some new work done over there more tempting.

Thanks everyone for your input. I've thought about Custom Bellows UK, but I would only commission them as a last resort (if I bugger it up!). I'll probably use some black out curtain. It's thin enough. Black on one side, white on the other. I think a white bellows would look quite snazzy on the 14x17 (black inside, of course!) I've never been satisfied with my DIY bellows, and have been putting it off for years. The problem was, I miscalculated the size of the ribs, making them too small. They just wouldn't fold nicely. Pure ugliness! At least it was light tight!

My Deardorff studio, had 1" folds, square corners for 16X30" bellows X 3

Turner copied them exactly
    Tin Can

I used JB Harlin's bellows making instructions for two bellows I made: https://www.jbhphoto.com/wp-content/...ingjbh2008.pdf

It seems to me that whatever method you use the process often doesn't go strictly according to plan. I always seem to have problems with folding, but it usually works out if you try folding in another direction.

I agree with Randy, for a camera your size you need 1" pleats.

We can get curtain blockout here in various colours. I chose all black for mine. Yhe inner liner was plain black cotton Duck, which is not in itself light tight, but does the job of mounting the ribs . Good luck Andy, you can do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Kirsten View Post
    I used JB Harlin's bellows making instructions for two bellows I made: https://www.jbhphoto.com/wp-content/...ingjbh2008.pdf

It seems to me that whatever method you use the process often doesn't go strictly according to plan. I always seem to have problems with folding, but it usually works out if you try folding in another direction.

I agree with Randy, for a camera your size you need 1" pleats.

We can get curtain blockout here in various colours. I chose all black for mine. Yhe inner liner was plain black cotton Duck, which is not in itself light tight, but does the job of mounting the ribs . Good luck Andy, you can do it.
    Thanks! I used the same instructions back in 2011, when I first made bellows for the 14x17. When he says to make a scaled down paper model first, he isn't kidding! That's part of the reason my bellows ended up looking like crap! I've revisited his instructions and studying them very carefully...

The best bellows material that I have found since I began large format in the 1970s is that used by Nabel and Dynatect.

I just got a couple of quotes. One was for $450 US (+ $30 shipping). I would probably go with this one if I jam out on making my own... The other quoted me for $780 AUS (includes shipping). I believe their a Hong Kong company but using Aussie dollars?? Waiting to hear back from Custom Bellows UK. I'm pretty sure I'll be making my own. Just wanted to get an idea of cost for professionally made bellows. I'm not looking forward to those hair pulling out sessions!