Thread: Calumet 8x10 C1 Green Monster Paint Color Matching

Calumet 8x10 C1 Green Monster Paint Color Matching

I've been slowly restoring a green Calumet C1 and would like to repaint some parts. Has anyone attempted to get a perfect color match for the factory green? Please share any successes.
    I would like to spray on the paint using an oil-based enamel.

Thanks

Photographer

Re: Calumet 8x10 C1 Green Monster Paint Color Matching

A paint store can match a part closely. Suggest trying Sherwin Williams to start.

On edit, if it’s a crinkle finish, I’d specify that too.
    Keith Pitman

Sherman Williams matched Sinar Norma paint colors for me, and it looks pretty good on my cameras and boards. I did take a Norma lens board in with me, and they zapped it. Oil paint is another story, no luck finding that
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 1-Dec-2022 at 05:19.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Paint it White with automotive paint, way tougher

I last painted a BSA Lightning with 2 part epoxy 30 years ago

Look at Karsh's C!

Yousuf Karsh: The Master of Portrait Photography

https://photogpedia.com/yousuf-karsh/

I turned my garage into a sealed paint booth, exhaust fan and the required 3M respirator
    Tin Can

Thanks for the suggestion, but I want to keep the green as I like it and there are only a few parts I need to paint.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Paint it White with automotive paint, way tougher

I last painted a BSA Lightning with 2 part epoxy 30 years ago

Look at Karsh's C!

Yousuf Karsh: The Master of Portrait Photography

https://photogpedia.com/yousuf-karsh/

I turned my garage into a sealed paint booth, exhaust fan and the required 3M respirator

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Have you considered using a company like this? A quick google search shows that there are others offering such services. I used one once for touch-up car paint and it was quite successful.

https://www.myperfectcolor.com/Custo...aint/33865.htm

Yes, I looked into them. There's one about an hour from me. They can make oil based spray paint from any brand's color code. Not too terribly expensive if I find a pre-existing color match. It'll be around $50. They also have a high-end custom color matching service that ranges from $175 - >$400. I'm sure they'll do a fabulous job, but that service is too pricey for me.

My current plan is to find a close enough color match from Benjamin Moore or Sherman Williams, and then have a can of aerosol paint made from MyPerfectColor.

thx Brian

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Have you considered using a company like this? A quick google search shows that there are others offering such services. I used one once for touch-up car paint and it was quite successful.

https://www.myperfectcolor.com/Custo...aint/33865.htm

Drew Wiley

Serious paint matching has to be done in person by someone sufficiently trained. That's more common in the auto paint trade. We hired auto paint matchers for our own color matching services, but I often made the ultimate call myself. You can never fully trust printed paint chips; real paint pigment isn't even involved. The biggest problem in this case is the wrinkle finish. There's a limited choice in that category. So use the closest color wrinkle aerosol paint you can find for the base layer, let it dry thoroughly, then apply the final matched top color enamel. Damp cold weather complicates everything, and things can go wrong in terms of sheen or bonding failure. You need to prep abrade the original coat too. And doing it indoors, with the doors and windows closed, poses both health and flammability risks. Water-based paint won't hold up well.