Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help finding the right 8x10 camera/lens for a silly project...

Help finding the right 8x10 camera/lens for a silly project...

Hi all,

In October 2023, I'll be heading off to photograph an extreme action sports competition that takes place in a mountainous region of a windy desert. I am looking to capture this event on an 8x10 camera... because I like pain and heartbreak, I suppose!

In all seriousness, I want to use the larger format and the extensive lens movements to help convey just how wild the terrain is that these athletes are riding on. There will be a mix of portraits and action shots.

I would love to shoot with an 8x10 body and lens combo that will:
    1) survive out in the desert for over a week of windy, sandy and exposed shooting conditions
    2) has the fastest shutter speeds possible
    3) has "interesting" bokeh (not looking for a clinical look and will almost always be shooting wide open)
    4) 5.6 or 4.5 max aperture would be ideal, for thin DOF

I fully realize that the obvious answer to the criteria above is the Aero/Speed combo, which I used to shoot with, but I would very much like to shoot this project on 8x10.

I'm completely new to the world of 8x10, so any help is much appreciated!

Re: Help finding the right 8x10 camera/lens for a silly project...

Most of the 4.5/5.6 lenses for 8x10 will be in a big shutter like the ilex5 which has a max speed of 1/50th. If it's less modern, then an older pneumatic shutter.

You have a ton of lens choices.

If it's not needing to be super portable, you can modify a speed graphic to act as a shutter and get your 1/1000 or so. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAjyYixKXm8&t=1s

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Be aware that most 8x10 shutter have a fastest speed of 1/50 or 1/100 of a second. For action shots, you would probably be much better off with that 4x5 Speed Graphic you mentioned.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Thanks! I've found a Schneider 240mm Apo-Symmar f/5.6 with a Compur 3 shutter that maxes out at 1/250, which isn't too bad. I also saw the 300mm 5.6 version in the same shutter online, which gives me hope! Is there any reason to stay clear of this type of shutter?

Curious, previous sheet film view camera experience would be _?_

This view camera stuff, specially 8x10 is zero like a roll film or digital camera.. Entirely different can-O-film...

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by The Loam Ranger View Post
    Hi all,

In October 2023, I'll be heading off to photograph an extreme action sports competition that takes place in a mountainous region of a windy desert. I am looking to capture this event on an 8x10 camera... because I like pain and heartbreak, I suppose!

In all seriousness, I want to use the larger format and the extensive lens movements to help convey just how wild the terrain is that these athletes are riding on. There will be a mix of portraits and action shots.

I would love to shoot with an 8x10 body and lens combo that will:
    1) survive out in the desert for over a week of windy, sandy and exposed shooting conditions
    2) has the fastest shutter speeds possible
    3) has "interesting" bokeh (not looking for a clinical look and will almost always be shooting wide open)
    4) 5.6 or 4.5 max aperture would be ideal, for thin DOF

I fully realize that the obvious answer to the criteria above is the Aero/Speed combo, which I used to shoot with, but I would very much like to shoot this project on 8x10.

I'm completely new to the world of 8x10, so any help is much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by The Loam Ranger View Post
    a mountainous region of a windy desert.!
    Just about any modern 8x10 lens, camera and shutter will have nearly identical specs. How will you manage the film holders? You probably need a large changing bag.

You will need a lot of light to expose film at 1/250. It is 3:00PM and the sun is in a couple hours with not a cloud in the sky. Pointing my meter out the window show 1/250 at f4 with ISO 400 film

Ya

Dust will eat it

Ever been in desert?

I have
    Tin Can

Bernice - as I mentioned in the original post, I've shot 4x5 quite extensively, so the process is not new to me. I do fully realize that going to 8x10 makes everything bigger and heavier, which I am okay with (I'll have an assistant with me to help manage the load).

ic-racer - good call. Fortunately there are no trees and this area is bathed in rather harsh sunlight throughout most of the time I'll be shooting. For me, I know that I will not be able to fully freeze the action of the athletes during their runs (I need closer to 1/1000 for that), but I do want as much opportunity as I can to shoot the lens wide open.

Tin Can - Classic internet commenter, right there haha. The reality is that this camera setup may be completely destroyed by the end of this project, but I am willing to accept that if it means I can produce the work I have in mind.

Any rugged 8x10 bodies you would suggest for something like this? I don't need every movement available, just basic front standard movements, really.

It seems to me that working in conditions as you describe is going to demand a fairly heavy camera and tripod. For lens choice, your basic options are small, slow(ish) lenses in Copal 0 or 1 shutters (which will give you speeds up to 1/500) or faster lenses that are BIG and HEAVY. But as Tin Can already pointed out DUST BAD!! I live in the desert and, trust me, sand can and will get everywhere in windy conditions.

Calumet C1 Magnesium version

With heavy duty new belows

But it is a vented design so good luck

I deliberately took no cameras to Burning Man 1999, except a sealed DIGI

Baggy every Holder

Duplicate all gear

No fun for you
    Tin Can