Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Couple questions for the Audience

Couple questions for the Audience

Hey Group,

I've two questions here, so here they go:

-I recently heard that nikon will not be producing large format lenses any longer. Is this true? Since I'm in the market for a 300mm f/9, where should I look? (note: I contacted The View Camera Store, and they replied that they were out of stock for the above mentioned reasons).

-I shoot deserts scenes (4x5), and am debating the choice between a 120mm Apo-symmar (not the L) and a 135mm Apo-Sironar S. I'm already shooting with a 75mm and a 180mm. I know that they are both great lenses, so I'm most interested in peoples opinions regarding which focal length to choose. However, if you feel there is a significant factor with regards to their performance, please share.

Since you already have a 75 and a 180 I would go with the 120-125 length. You might also think about the 110 focal length if you are trying to split the difference. The jump from 75 to 135 will be a big one.

streve simmons

www.viewcamera.com

Hi Casey,

I suggest Badger Graphic, they seem to have run out of most all Nikkors, but they also carry Fuji LF lenses and Fuji Compact 300/8.5 is very similar to Nikkor 300/9. Bigger image circle, I think, similar size and price.

Regards,

Marko is right! I have the Fuji 300C and it is an amazing little lens. I use it for both my 8x10 and my 4x5 camera. It sits in a Copal 1 shutter and is very, very sharp. As an aside, I bought a small 150 Fujinon lens for use on a folder and that lens is extremely sharp - it beats the 150 Schneider Symmar S that I have easily. Fuji lenses are often overlooked, but they are as good, or even better than the two major players in the market.
    Juergen

I recently picked up a new 300mm f9 Nikkor M from MidWest Photo Exchange. You might want to call them and talk to Jim to see if they have any left in stock. Their website says they do.
    Mike Boden

www.mikeboden.com
    Instagram: @mikebodenphoto

MIke, I'm looking at their website right now and the only two nikkors they have are 90/8 and 150/5.6.

They sold out in a big hurry for sure.

Blah. I'm looking at Badger... sorry. Time to hit the rags.

"Since you already have a 75 and a 180 I would go with the 120-125 length. You might also think about the 110 focal length if you are trying to split the difference. The jump from 75 to 135 will be a big one."

streve simmons

I would say - think beyond this even. I know it's a bit early in the game - but try to anticipate what you might want for a lens collection (depends on your experiences, of course!) - but if you get a 90 - then the 120 might be a bit close. The 15mm between a 75 and a 90 is probably the most dramatic or meaningful 15mm jump between any lenses. You might be surprised at how big a change in look that is. Though I have to admit I'm a fan of the 120s. I'm trying to switch over right now from 75/90/150/210 to 75/90/120/180/240/360. Why am I changing? The glass is looking greener on the other side I guess.

Beverly Hills, California

You definitely don't want greener glass, though. Stick with your magenta.

Marko,

If you look under "Large Format" and then "8x10/LARGER LENSES", you'll see the 300 f9 Nikkor M listed as new and in stock. At any rate, calling Jim should answer the question rather quickly.

Mike
    Mike Boden

www.mikeboden.com
    Instagram: @mikebodenphoto