Thread: Durst 138s - lubrication of head pivoting shaft ?

Dmitri Kouznetsov

Question Durst 138s - lubrication of head pivoting shaft ?

Hello Durst adepts,

I own Durst 138s with BW head. When I tried to turn the enlarger head to make mural projections, appears it is dead stuck. Of course, before trying to pivot the head, I had turned the control knob from "F" to "L" position. I went over the Durst 138s service manual, but there is nothing on this.

Do you think I should CLA the pivoting shaft? with prior disassembling upper part of the head, to liberate access to the shaft? other ideas?

thanks for your opinions...
    dimitri

Re: Durst 138s - lubrication of head pivoting shaft ?

Don't know the 138 intimately...but if this mechanism involves a metal sleeve clamp and metal shaft - you could try getting something like PB Blaster (penetrant) to soak into the joint for awhile so you can work it apart - then use some very fine wet/dry sandpaper (or a progression, maybe from 320 to 400 to 600) on the shaft if its at all corroded - then reverse-wrap around shaft to sand the clamping part if its also corroded. After this, apply a small amount of moly-lube (a high-pressure grease which stays put) on the shaft prior to re-assembly and work it around a bit afterwards to distribute the grease (wiping away any excess)...but then make sure not to get any of this lube on your hands while making prints!

Drew Wiley

320, 600, etc ... even that's awfully rough. I use gentler grey then white Scothbrite pads instead, and maybe even stainless or chrome polish. In my abrasive inventory, I've got 2000X, 4000X, and even finer silicon carbide pads. But I will admit, I've never seen deep corrosion on Durst L components. I wouldn't accept any enlarger with that kind of issue. The point is, go gently. Work your way down from super-fine to very fine, sorting out what works best, and not the other way around until final polishing. But if possible, AVOID ABRASIVES entirely. Old
    lube goop hardened up can be handled with fine Scotbrite pad just like one uses in the kitchen for teflon pans.

And buy a decent lube - nothing like cheapo WD40 or anything containing silicone. Moly, lithium, or teflon greases are best. Keep them well away from bellows, handles, the carrier area, or the baseboard itself. Mask those off if necessary during application.

Dmitri Kouznetsov

Thank a lot for all your input !