Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: How to identify Horseman monorail camera models

Re: How to identify Horseman monorail camera models

NOT for carry, but once I assembled two 700mm Horse rails with the optional Horse connector plate

Needed a few bellows and frames
    Tin Can

The le model weighs 9 lb that's not beyond carrying. The s i n a r f2 weighs 16 lb, the Sinar F1 weighs 7.0 lb neither one of those would be that tough to carry except for the f2.

I've had several people in this forum private message me that carry a monorail camera out to do landscape and to do all kinds of different types of photography.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Califmike33 View Post
    ... carry a monorail camera out to do landscape and to do all kinds of different types of photography.
    It can be done, for sure, if one is physically fit. I've done it but soon started photographing within close proximity to the car. It's carrying the camera, and the tripod, and the lens(es), and ...

My monorail weighs 8 lb and I think the tripod may weigh a bit more. The system I use is to keep the camera in its case with the case attached to a large-wheel luggage trolley, which I strap teh tripod to and lug behind me on trails. Then set up when I see something worth photographing. There are ways but, trust me, it is easier to use a lighter camera rig.

So did you buy a Horseman? A very nice camera that you can do a lot with!

Sinar F/F+/F1/F2.. 7 pounds believable..

Sinar F2 ... 16 pounds NO possible way. Possible for a P or P2 which is not the same camera, at all.

Previously on LFF, see post# 15. Sinar F folds up for transport. This is FAR easier to do than taking it apart.
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...F-camera/page2

Sinar F2 folded up.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sinar F2-F.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	233319

Difference between Sinar F(clear anodized aluminum)/F1(black) is F1 is all black and some minor improvements in the mechanicals including ground glass frame lifters to aid in film holder access.

Name:	Sinar F front.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	233325

F2 has front focus and separate shift/swing control locks.

Name:	Sinar F2 front noted.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	233324

Horseman L does not fold up. It is designed to be taken apart then put back together for transport. Again, Horseman L series was originally designed, intended, marketed to be a indoor studio camera.. Alternative is to carry it assembled in a case that suspends the camera on it's rail. calumet and others made monorail cases like these years ago.

Bernice

The le model weighs 9 lb that's not beyond carrying. The s i n a r f2 weighs 16 lb, the Sinar F1 weighs 7.0 lb neither one of those would be that tough to carry except for the f2.

I've had several people in this forum private message me that carry a monorail camera out to do landscape and to do all kinds of different types of photography.

Folding up a monorail to transport is slow to set up and too much hassle. 5x7 Sinar Norma is transported whole on a short_ed rail that fits into sockets on a modified Pelican case. Norma goes direct with lens and Sinar shutter on to the Sinar rail clamp on a Sinar pan/tilt head. Set up takes less than 30 seconds from case to tripod. Add rail extensions as needed then proceed with the set up.

Case contains: 5x7 Norma, four lenses, bag bellows, Sinar shutter, 6" rain, 12" rail, light meter, dark cloth, GG loupe, cable release, filters and filter holder, tape measure, spare battery for the light meter, six 5x7 or 13x18cm film holders. Tripod is elastic corded to the roller Pelican case.

Name:	Sinar Norma, case.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	233329

Name:	Split Cypress.jpg 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	233332
    (yes, the# 25A red filter is taped to the front of the center filter)

Name:	Sinar Norma, 115mm Grandagon split tree.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	233330

Name:	Sinar Norma, 480mm APO ronar.jpg 
Size:	132.8 KB 
ID:	233331

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    It can be done, for sure, if one is physically fit. I've done it but soon started photographing within close proximity to the car. It's carrying the camera, and the tripod, and the lens(es), and ...

My monorail weighs 8 lb and I think the tripod may weigh a bit more. The system I use is to keep the camera in its case with the case attached to a large-wheel luggage trolley, which I strap teh tripod to and lug behind me on trails. Then set up when I see something worth photographing. There are ways but, trust me, it is easier to use a lighter camera rig.

So did you buy a Horseman? A very nice camera that you can do a lot with!

I have bought nothing yetttt, just looking at both and weight and features but leaning heavy on Sinar F1 not F2

I stand corrected the SINAR F2 weighs 6 pounds not 16 it was a typo. Now 6 pounds is wayyyyyyy doable, heck most good field cameras weight half that. Bernice you the man thanks for all the photos.

I saw that thread how it he packs his F2 very nice. You say the Horseman L has to to be take apart ? like bellows off, front standard and rear come off rail. Front and rear standard lay on top of eaachother, rail comes off mount, its some work but doesnt look that hard to do really. Look like it would pack smaller than the F2 if you took the Horse L apart and just folded the F2. To me the weight difference is alot your talking 3 pounds between the 2 cameras.

People have PM me and said i carry a monorail into the woods and i deal with it, others have said its to much hassle and to much weight, but i say 6 pounds for a camera that size and the ability you have once your in the woods is worth it.

Linhof Technikardan 23s, 6x9 on 120 roll film.. weights 6.2 pounds.. about the same as a Sinar F/F+/F1... F2 slightly more.

Is also transported whole with lens in a modified case that lock the TK23s into a Hasselblad tripod quick release mounted to the side of the case. Flip the HB tripod quick release plate un-does the TK23s from the case which is then put direct and whole on to the tripod's Hasselblad quick release plate. Takes no more than 30 seconds to set up.

Case contains: four to five lenses, bag bellows, light meter, Hoodman GG hood, GG loupe, cable release, filters and filter holder, tape measure, spare battery for the light meter, 6x9 super rollex roll film holder, rolls of 120 film if needed.

Name:	TK23s outfit case.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	233333

Name:	TK23s & super rollex 6x9.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	233337

Name:	Linhof TK23s, succ set up.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	133.3 KB 
ID:	233339

Do this for enough decades, ways_means will be developed and implemented to meet the specific needs and make it all go easier with efficiency and effort-resource reduction. What is tolerable, what is not tolerable?

Bernice

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

You must be a young man, Mike. There was a day when I could carry any of my camera bags for days on end. Now I wonder how I did that as they are H-E-A-V-Y. The monorail… no way. It’s not just the camera; it’s everything else!

Yes indeediee, IMO far too much focus on the ~weight~ of the camera when all else required to allow any view camera to record any image often adds up to a LOT more than the camera alone. It is part of the lens fixed to the box camera (digital or roll film) habituated mind-set.. where the camera is essentially self contained and that is most of the weight-bulk of the image recording device. This mind-set, belief, value system and all Does Not Apply to this view camera stuff..

~Or why the constant crowing about focusing less on the weight/bulk of the view camera alone as there is a pile more required to make any view camera "go"..

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Now I wonder how I did that as they are H-E-A-V-Y. The monorail… no way. It’s not the camera; it’s everything else!