Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How to identify Horseman monorail camera models

Re: How to identify Horseman monorail camera models

This is a basic Horseman LE model...
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/28506328950...mis&media=COPY

Once upon long ago Horseman LM (near identical to the LX, no focus plane rise), has a new home now. Difference is in the base, expandable rail and added camera movement features. Sold this and the other Horseman L series (still have a few Horseman accessories that needs a home), kept the Sinar system and used to this day.

Know these Horseman L series are no "light weights" they are intended to be used as indoor/studio cameras. Precise, accurate, very stable with geared movements.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Horseman LM_RS.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	233281

Name:	Horseman LM rail+.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	233283

Name:	Horseman LM & Case.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	50.2 KB 
ID:	233282

Horseman LM/LX/LXC were Horseman's market reply to the Sinar P/P2/X... Working Fotographers and market decided on the Sinar P/P2/X over the Horseman offerings... Most of these sold in Japan. Eventually Horseman discontinued the L series, while Sinar evolved the P2 into the P3 which is the digital back version of their decades young design..

Oh, if you're really hankering for a Horseman LX, KEH has one, it's the real deal..
    https://www.keh.com/horseman-4x5-lx-...hoC8GUQAvD_BwE

Oh, Oh,... KEH has an LXC too _!_
    https://www.keh.com/shop/horseman-4x...html?rrec=true

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Califmike33 View Post
    Here's a link to the eBay listing maybe you guys can tell me what model you think this is.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/28506328950...mis&media=COPY

Thank you very much for that information it looks like a fantastic camera to me.

They are nice, but limited in many ways... or why no more Horseman L series these days.
    Only need one GOOD modular monorail camera system. More is never better.

Bernice

Thank you very much for that information it looks like a fantastic camera to me.

The one on eBay I spoke to the guy he says it looks like a Target ever even been touched looks like a good deal also the k e h one looks like a good deal.

Let me ask you a question is it possible to take this apart and get it into a backpack to take on a you know maybe a mile mile and a half walk off the side of the road or is that unrealistic?

Sure, the LX/LXC/LM is take-apart-able.. weights about 6.3Kg or almost 14 pounds of camera alone..

Then add tripod & head, lenses, film holders, light meter, dark cloth, focusing loupe, cable release, outfit case and more.. all up, gonna be a LOT more than 14 pounds.

Feeling like ~A~ sherpa_?_

Bernice

Let me ask you a question is it possible to take this apart and get it into a backpack to take on a you know maybe a mile mile and a half walk off the side of the road or is that unrealistic?

I get your point. The guy on eBay told me he put it on a scale said it only weighed 9 lb. 16 16 lb you can forget it plus lens is dark cloth yeah you're talking 25 lb on my back.

I have another question with the standard rail how wide of a lens can I shoot?

Sinar Norma or F/F1/F2 about 6-7 pounds, foldable, packable, modular, expandable, easy to get camera, affordable and accessories easy and ...
    There are very real reasons why some that have been at this view camera stuff for decades gravitate to Sinar..
    At the beginning of this LF view camera journey these carnalities are often not appreciated.. until the limitations of the current view camera is fully realized.

Bernice

I get your point. The guy on eBay told me he put it on a scale said it only weighed 9 lb. 16 16 lb you can forget it plus lens is dark cloth yeah you're talking 25 lb on my back.

On a Sinar 5x4.. 47mm with a bag bellows (aprox $50) accessory, no recessed lens board, Full camera movements to the absolute limits of the lens..
    Been there, done this lots.

Previously on LFF:
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...-on-4x5-camera

Bernice

I have another question with the standard rail how wide of a lens can I shoot?