Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade to Epson V850 Scanner?

Upgrade to Epson V850 Scanner?

I'm debating upgrading to the Epson V850 Scanner from a 4870. But, I would appreciate user input on the V850 and its effectiveness. We primarily do reflective scans using the 4870, and it's all we need for that.

I've also done a few Provia 4x5 scans enlarged to 16x20 using the 4870 with which I've been pleased. But I'm considering scanning more than just a few in the future. What would be the advantages of upgrading to the V850 for that purpose. Note, I will not be scanning 4x5 color negatives.

One difference of which I'm familiar is the color management capability that comes with the V850. But the software and targets that I currently own far exceeds that capability.

As I understand it, the V850 light sources are based on LED technology. How does the LED lighting compare with the incandescent light sources that come with my current scanner. Would I be losing color gamut with the V850?

I would appreciate any insights that you have.

Re: Upgrade to Epson V850 Scanner?

Not sure about the LED vs incandescent light, but the main reason to get a v850 (or V700/750) would be to scan larger than 4x5 in one pass, or to do wet scans.
    If you're sticking with 4x5 I see no reason to get an 850, unless the LEDs impart some magic I'm unawares of.
    I've been through a 4870, two 4990s and a v750. I used the hell out of them, and sold all of them in equal or better shape than they were when I bought them. They're unkillable.
    Currently running my third 4990 for 8x10 and roll film and it's a beast, too. Waiting to cross the border and pick up my IQSmart.
    Speaking of, if you plan on scanning a lot of 4x5 film over the next while, consider renting some time on a pro flatbed.
    They're usually better for high-volume batch scans than are the Epsons, and the scan quality is second-to-none.
    The Creo can scan 9 4x5 sheets, while the Epson will only do 4 sheets at a time.

I really like my V850 but can’t compare it to the 4870 as this is my first film scanner since an old Minolta 35mm scanner from years ago. I have used it with 4x5 and 6x17 and I also upgraded to the Silverfast software and simply have no complaints.

I will say that within a few weeks of getting my first v850 it developed a hardware fault and would not scan, so I had to return it for a new one. I hope that was just an anomaly and is not indicative of long-term reliability.

Scott
    Toyo VX23D

My understanding is the V850 uses LED lighting in order to reduce warm up time for the lamp (meaning there is basically none when compared to the V750) and to provide more consistent results over time. If you are scanning 4x5 and use the wet mount adapter, it's really a good scanner for the money. Past that you are looking at a Flextight X1 or a drum scanner. Both are very expensive options and if you are not making huge enlargements than it's probably the most viable option.

-Joshua

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Not sure about the LED vs incandescent light, but the main reason to get a v850 (or V700/750) would be to scan larger than 4x5 in one pass, or to do wet scans.
    If you're sticking with 4x5 I see no reason to get an 850, unless the LEDs impart some magic I'm unawares of.
    I've been through a 4870, two 4990s and a v750. I used the hell out of them, and sold all of them in equal or better shape than they were when I bought them. They're unkillable.
    Currently running my third 4990 for 8x10 and roll film and it's a beast, too. Waiting to cross the border and pick up my IQSmart.
    Speaking of, if you plan on scanning a lot of 4x5 film over the next while, consider renting some time on a pro flatbed.
    They're usually better for high-volume batch scans than are the Epsons, and the scan quality is second-to-none.
    The Creo can scan 9 4x5 sheets, while the Epson will only do 4 sheets at a time.
    Ari, Thank for the recommendation.

I think for now, I'll use the 4870. I'm getting rid of all my 8x10 equipment, but I might need to scan 5x7's. I figured out one day, if the 4870 can do upper and lower 4x5's (landscape orientation), it should be able to do 5x7. After making my own 5x7 holder, my hunch proved correct.

Are there any new pro flatbeds currently for sale?

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post

Are there any new pro flatbeds currently for sale?
    Michael Streeter will sell you a refurbished flatbed, but they're around $3K-$4K: https://www.scansolutionsonline.com hence my suggestion to rent time and do a few large batch scans.

I'm looking at their options as well for 8x10 scanning as I don't love the V850 options for this. Has anyone experienced hardware support issues (super high costs, no support, etc) with older high resolution flat bed scanners?

Brian

Brian, if you search the forum for Michael Streeter, you'll see that his support is fantastic. He also sells parts and is the most knowledgeable person I know of on the subject of scanner operation.
    My only other experience is with Epson, which was less favorable.

Hi Neil

We just purchase a Epson 850 for our Lab use, I also own an Imocan and a Creo Eversmart Supreme. We thought it was a great device to do film contact sheets from old photo archives (which we do a lot of) and of course it works perfectly, but I had a lot of 4 x 5 and old 4 x 5 polaroids that I wanted to scan so we gave the 850 a go and to my amazement the files are incredible and from this size original I am making 16 x 20 gum over palladiums without feeling I have lost something... I can highly recommend this device.

Peter

There is a refurbished V850 on the Epson website right now for $950.00. https://epson.com/Clearance-Center/c...lTgt_onRefresh