Thread: Graphic Film Packs

Graphic Film Packs

I modify these holders to be used with glass/metal plates. They're bulkier than a modified film holder but since they dont really have a use anymore they're often very cheap.

Sometimes they even come with a film pack in them! Right now I have 3, 2 completely unused plus-x packs, and one tri-x with a few shots left still in the adapter.

It would be cool to see if there were any images on the partially exposed pack, and it would be cool to use the new ones if possible. Any advice for rescuing the already exposed one, and shooting the new ones, if that would even work? The hardest part will be developing them, as I don't have any way to develop that many 4x5 sheets at once.

Re: Graphic Film Packs

I have done the same with these converting to use with glass plates. Then I came across some well preserved packs of Tri-X and they came out great. Developing was tricky as the sheets are slightly larger that 4x5. OK if you tray develop but I don't have a darkroom. I wasted a some sheets developing in a Paterson orbital by not using enough developer volume. Then I came across a 3D printed reel to fit standard developing tanks allowing sheets to be folded in the taco method.

You don't have to wait till all 16 sheets are exposed to develop. You can open a partially exposed pack and remove the exposed sheets, develop those and continue shooting the rest. I think the original pack instructions tell you how to do that. If you don't have that I have a copy somewhere but not sure if I have scanned it.

Richard

4x5 filmpacks have not been made since about 1992. The film you have, like any antique film, may or may not be usable. Recently I was given some Tri-X packs that had expired in 1976 and were supposedly frozen since new. A little testing revealed surprisingly good quality with a great deal of fog... the EI was down to around 20. So it's worth trying.
    I'd started a thread here about this, a couple of months ago, and someone was able to post a copy of the instructions (I didn't have those ay the time). You'll need them, so do a search; there is some good info there. Remember that the film has a flexible 120-thickness base, so care in handling is necessary. Best of luck!

I have some Tri-X packs I have been holding back. I figured I would start at EI 25 and bracket. I bought Filmpack when it was fresh and I liked it. After it's demise it was cheap, so I used expired Tri-X Filmpack for a while. Went well at the time. Tray developed the sheets. There was a curl at one end that needed to be taken into account when composing. Definite curl on one side. HC110 works well with expired TX
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Thanks for the info guys. I found the instruction sheet and will try and develop a couple sheets to see what's left. I bought a stearman press tank to economize on developing with small batches of film, do you think that will work with the thinner film? I thought about a nikor tank at one point, but they're hard to find and very expensive, and I didn't really think I'd need to develop that many negatives at one time.

I do have a paterson tank and a 3d printer so I guess I could find something that might work there.

Check this link out. Instructions are there. Watch out for the sharp metal edges when you are opening the pack.

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...-4x5-Film-pack

Well I managed to get 2 pictures out and develop them, there's actually something on them, but it's heavily fogged and covered in artifacts, not sure what would cause anything like that. I used HC110 dilution H for 10 minutes, perhaps a different developer or time would improve it, I'm by no means an expert at this.

I was able to get everything put back together so the other 9 pictures are still in there.

I don't yet have a scanner so these are just quick and dirty pictures with my phone against a bright background.

https://imgur.com/e8Qn7xq

https://imgur.com/KNRuJc0

Here's what you need:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Taco Tank.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	233989