Thread: Lens caps sizes for Kodak Commercial Ektar 8.5 inch

Lens caps sizes for Kodak Commercial Ektar 8.5 inch

Does anyone know what push-on lens cap size fits the front and rear (if different) of a Kodak Commercial Ektar 8.5 inch f/6.3?

Also, while 1940s data sheets state that the front needs a special adaptor to fit filters, does the thread accept any modern filter sizes with standard 0.75 mm pitch thread?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Re: Lens caps sizes for Kodak Commercial Ektar 8.5 inch

I tend to buy vintage/oddball lenses that don't seem to conform to any known standard.
    I use a cheap digital caliper to measure OD for caps. You can buy them on Amazon for less then $10.

The front lens barrel of the 8-1/2" CE will not accept 'standard' filters. EK's lenses were designed before those came along. Kodak offered press-on filter adapters for all their lenses, which took unthreaded 'series' filters, held in with a retaining ring. It used to be that you would go rummaging in the junk drawers of old camera stores to find those things, but those stores are gone now...
    My Kodak data books aren't accessible right now, or I could tell you which is the proper adapter. I used that setup on the job for many years.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by PunkFunkDunk View Post
    Does anyone know what push-on lens cap size fits the front and rear (if different) of a Kodak Commercial Ektar 8.5 inch f/6.3?

Also, while 1940s data sheets state that the front needs a special adaptor to fit filters, does the thread accept any modern filter sizes with standard 0.75 mm pitch thread?

Just measured my 1964 8 1/2 inch Commercial Ektar using metric calipers. The front diameter is a bit over 44 mm and the rear a bit over 43 mm. I ended up having SK Grimes make lens caps. They are very nice, of course and so far I've managed not to lose either one...

David

Kaiser makes push-on caps in many sizes.

My lens arrived. It seems the front lens mount requires a 45mm push-on lens cap (44mm being too small and 46mm being too large). The rear fits a 44mm push-on lens cal snugly. Seems that only Kaiser makes a 45mm cap available via B&H.

Quote Originally Posted by PunkFunkDunk View Post
    My lens arrived. It seems the front lens mount requires a 45mm push-on lens cap (44mm being too small and 46mm being too large). The rear fits a 44mm push-on lens cal snugly. Seems that only Kaiser makes a 45mm cap available via B&H.

Sometimes I add a bit of adhesive felt to make a cap smaller

I also look for other objects to make a cap

My favorite is using a KOKAK Bullet Safe lamp Red Retaining ring for a huge lens
    Tin Can