Thread: Wollensak Verito 18 weight?

Question Wollensak Verito 18 weight?

Hi! I'm going to buy this lens and I'm a little confused with the weight of the lens.
    I have been trying to find any info all over the Internet but nothing!
    I asked a few ebay sellers who are selling this lens and their lenses are: 2,6 kg and 2,5 kg (one with a shutter and the other without)
    At the same time some owners of the lenses say me that their 18in Veritos are less than 2 kg. But unfortunately none of them can check the exact weight.
    Are there some light aluminium version of the lens?
    Or there is just one lens and the weight of it is about 2,5 kg?
    Thanks!

Re: Wollensak Verito 18 weight?

The 18” Verito was in production for 35 years and underwent design changes over time, including a significant variation in the overall length of the barrel which affects weight. Mounting in an iris diaphragm barrel versus a Studio shutter makes a difference as well.

If you can provide a photo of the particular lens you are inquiring about, I believe you will receive a more accurate reply.

Just for reference, mine is 195mm overall length, mounted in barrel, and weighs 2.4kg (without flange).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0B7D37FB-9B5F-426C-BC63-D769886CF0C7.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	233069
    Last edited by Whir-Click; 29-Nov-2022 at 21:00.

You can also make your own to be whatever you want:

http://www.subclub.org/fujinon/softfocus.htm

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    You can also make your own to be whatever you want:

http://www.subclub.org/fujinon/softfocus.htm
    I already have 335mm meniscus lens by Reinhold Schable, I'm not sure I will be able to make my own Wollensack Portrait lens but the article is interesting! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Whir-Click View Post
    The 18” Verito was in production for 35 years and underwent design changes over time, including a significant variation in the overall length of the barrel which affects weight. Mounting in an iris diaphragm barrel versus a Studio shutter makes a difference as well.

If you can provide a photo of the particular lens you are inquiring about, I believe you will receive a more accurate reply.

Just for reference, mine is 195mm overall length, mounted in barrel, and weighs 2.4kg (without flange).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0B7D37FB-9B5F-426C-BC63-D769886CF0C7.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	233069
    These are the exactly lenses I'm considering to buy
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/125578450403
    https://www.youtube.com/shorts/8URR41fLJmY

Both are about 2,5kg. I think I was misled that there is a Verito weighing less than 2 kg.

Can't decide which one is better for me, with a shutter or without a shutter.
    Do you think it is possible to use that Studio shutter? What shutter speed it is possible to get with it?

Also, I see that Veritos without a shutter have better (more round) diaphragm. Will there be any difference on f8-f11 for example?
    The diaphragm of a Verito with a shutter https://prnt.sc/XrbaDUPlJis6
    The diaphragm of a Verito without a shutter https://prnt.sc/sPsQGZZUhM65

I think I will use Sinar shutter. Yes, I know that the diameter of the hole is smaller than the rear lens of Verito. But my Heliar 360 works perfect with it, it covers 8x10, and I measured the luminous flux on the ground glass using a spotmeter in the corners and in the center, for the Heliar with and without a shutter, and there was no difference at all. Also some friend of mine set up Verito 18 inch to Sinar and he says there was no problem with it. https://prnt.sc/KYw8BHjAVo4i

Studio shutters are "B" only.
    The shutter blades form the aperture.
    When operating properly, they start closed, open to the set aperture, and close again.
    There is no clockwork timing mechanism.

A Studio shutter can work very well if it’s in good condition, the essential thing is to ensure the blades are not cracked or chipped. You need a cable release with an extremely long throw to fully operate this #5 Studio shutter, and the fastest speed is as fast as you can push and release the plunger; probably an effective speed of around 1/10 considering efficiency.

If you have a separate shutter solution, the barrel option is very attractive and probably preferable. I use a Packard shutter behind my 18” Verito in barrel. Even if the 18” lens covers 8x10” with a Sinar shutter, you should consider whether the small shutter will vignette in a way that will restrict movements. Personally I like to use a lot of front fall in portraits.

The #10 iris barrel is a joy, the largest size Wollensak made and comprised of 25 iris leaves. The example you link to is in extraordinary nice cosmetic condition, but I would ask the seller to post a video operating the diaphragm ring to see how smoothly it turns and to ensure that no leaves are missing or damaged.

Lastly, people sometimes balk at the lumpy shape of Studio shutter apertures stopped way down, but in my opinion it’s not really an issue at the practical working apertures you mention.

Good luck on the purchase, both of these lenses look like appealing options.
    Last edited by Whir-Click; 3-Dec-2022 at 11:54.

multiplex

to add onto what Whirl-Click said
    studio shutters I have and use work perfectly with a deGroff air piston.
    with the piston you can slowly squeeze and let the lens open like it is on T, you can squeeze it a little faster
    and it will be a pretty slow speed and if you are good at it, you can get it to open and close between 1/25 and 1/30S,
    it takes practice but works every time. the degroff releases might still be made (degroff airway, degroff products ), I know they were a handful of years ago,
    I spoke to the guy who was running the outfit, otherwise you can buy a orphaned piston ( clean it and lubricate it with graphite it will last forever )
    that is either a plain case, or one that that is covered with beautiful art nouveau scroll work etching. I've only bought ones with a hose and bulb
    but they can be found separately, you'll have to search the internet. if you get one of these air piston releases you will realize they work perfectly on a betax shutter too.