Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: You're going to hate me (thrift store entry to LFP)

You're going to hate me (thrift store entry to LFP)

So I was going through a local thrift store today and I saw a large Calimar hard case. Being curious I opened it and it contained a Sinar view camera.

It's Swiss, it's in a hard case and zip-tied to the handle are the keys and a price tag saying $119.99.

Then it gets better, at the checkout it gives me a cyber monday 50% discount so my total with tax was around $65.

Then it gets better still. On the right side of the case there is the rail clamp, two shutter release cables (one locking for long exposures), a couple boxes with plastics in them (one like a periscope) and a Polaroid back.

In the middle there is the camera with lens and it seems to be the hood and a light proof bag for loading film cartridges underneath.

On the left there is an 8x Afga Loupe, an anti-static lens brush, a bunch of film cartridges and a spare lens board with lens.

Do you hate me yet?

It seems like a pretty complete setup, the only thing I notice missing is a rail extension but it seems like those go for $40-60 used pretty often.

Any way, I have wanted to use a field camera since the 1990s but digital photography quickly became affordable and my last few cameras were a Sony A7ii and a Sony a5100, both MILC cameras with E-mount lenses, pretty nice but not pro level by any means.

I will probably give this camera a shot and depending on how much fun I have, I'll either keep it or see if I can sell it for a profit.

I haven't really identified all the pieces to determine the model or age but looking at Google, it seems like a used body goes for around $200 without the case, lenses, Polaroid back, etc., so I think I've got at least $400 worth of camera on my hands, not bad for $65.

Re: You're going to hate me (thrift store entry to LFP)

I found an original Diana camera at a thrift store. The shutter worked, so I bought it. The price tag was a buck, but they had a sale and I got it for 75 cents.

Not quite a Swiss 4x5, but I was stoked!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3BoysNorthJetty.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I'm not familiar with those but you seem to be using it so you're ahead of me for now.

Yes, I do hate you already. I've done thrift store shopping for 50 years and the days of finding really nice cameras for cheap ended about 30 years ago. Certainly Goodwill has figured out how to cull the collectible or decent cameras and sell them on their website rather than in a local store.

But congrats or something! Post some photos of your find for additional hate...

i would hate you, but i've had better luck than that this year. got around half a grand worth of pentax gear and a nice leather camera bag for $50, an 18" f/3.8 projector lens for free, a pair of lumedyne system 244 flashes that would cost around $4000 new for free because they needed new batteries, 7 beat up 8x10 film holders that i should be able to turn into 6 useable ones for $60, a polaroid sx-70 w/ case and flash for $10... i'll shut up now.

sinar P or F?
    it really lucky any way

Quote Originally Posted by MILC Toast View Post
    I'm not familiar with those but you seem to be using it so you're ahead of me for now.
    One of the original toy cameras...pre-Holga. A classic, but not a Sinar! There probably were no new Sinar assessories that cost less than a new Diana camera...
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I do not know.

I'm going to try to post photos:

The case: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20221129_084246.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	233049

Inside: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20221129_084301.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	233050

Polaroid back, spare lens, short shutter release: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20221129_084700.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	233051

This seems to be how the periscope thing works: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20221129_085027.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	233052

The film side of the camera: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20221129_084530.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	233053

The lens side: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20221129_084515.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	233054

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Congratulations... great find!

Welcome to the forum!!!

Over $2000 original cost Swiss equipment. The 210 Komura is a great starter lens, highly underrated IMO. The Reflex Mag takes some getting used to, some love it, some hate it. So try it

If you want to learn precision view camera movements, the Sinar F has some very nice (at the time patented) aids which make it easy and precise if you are into that. Also makes a darn good field camera expandable on and on. Has a depth of field indicator, and angle tilt/swing calculator. Nice
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain