Thread: Mystery 13x18

Mystery 13x18

Can anyone help to identify this camera? It has 3 places where the back locks into place by sliding it into grooves, then the tailboard is adjusted for more accurate focus.

I also think the folding of bellows is unique. Is there a specific name for bellows folded like this? Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0262.jpg   IMG_0261.jpg   IMG_0258.jpg   IMG_0252.jpg   IMG_0251.jpg  

Arca-Swiss

Re: Mystery 13x18

It Does resemble Soviet FKD cameras and could have been a Portrait or copy camera from late 1920s to 1930s, or even much later.

The bellows cosmetics reminds me of yours. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-12-24 at 4.39.27 PM.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	233998
    Rod Klukas
    US Representative
    Arca-Swiss USA
    480-755-3364
    www.arca-swiss-usa.com

French camera from later collodion or early dry plate period since it has a very early type bellows (accordion type); wood - by the look of it - most probably walnut (most early French camera's are made from walnut). Looking at how the frosted glass is mounted, it is likely early dry plate.

https://www.collectorsweekly.com/sto...te-camera-1850

My Flickr

Yes, I think you are correct. Most of camera is intact, but there is no plate holder. And it seems the dimensions are 17x23, so it's slightly larger than what I see online. Do you know of anyone who might have a plate holder that will fit? Thanks

Talking about wet plate cameras.... I also have an unbranded camera in that same style, but with less metal parts. It matches designs I saw in literature that are typical of collodion cameras. It is walnut made. But the bellows is not accordion type. I bought it in Bievres about 20 years ago with a Darlot Cone Centralisateur. It is a half plate camera. Ground glass is square and it slides in place from the top of the camera. I don't have any original plate holder. I adapted a Linhof back on it. I assume it is French and maybe from the 1850 or 60's, is that a good guess or are there any evidences disproving it?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CollodiumCamera02.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	234221

Name:	wet_plate_a.jpg 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	234222

Name:	CollodiumCamera06.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	18.3 KB 
ID:	234223

Your example is in much better shape than mine, very nice! I would rather have a square format than the 13x18, just because it is unique. Mine is walnut as well. As I was cleaning the camera the other day, the sunlight hit it at just the right angle and I saw a very faint marking, It's a Durand & Vera. You are correct, apparently it was made in France, and not very many were made. Google turns up almost nothing when searching for Durand & Vera. It also seems the plate holder's outer dimensions are 17x23, which most of the holders from that time period are 16x21. I'm thinking of possible 3D printing a back. But it's going to be a long process to restore it.

Quote Originally Posted by lungovw View Post
    Talking about wet plate cameras.... I also have an unbranded camera in that same style, but with less metal parts. It matches designs I saw in literature that are typical of collodion cameras. It is walnut made. But the bellows is not accordion type. I bought it in Bievres about 20 years ago with a Darlot Cone Centralisateur. It is a half plate camera. Ground glass is square and it slides in place from the top of the camera. I don't have any original plate holder. I adapted a Linhof back on it. I assume it is French and maybe from the 1850 or 60's, is that a good guess or are there any evidences disproving it?

Name:	CollodiumCamera02.jpg 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	234221

Name:	wet_plate_a.jpg 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	234222

Name:	CollodiumCamera06.jpg 
Size:	18.3 KB 
ID:	234223
    typically a camera from the later collodion era; the bellows are probably not original since they have truncated corners. Here are comparable camera's from the same era (although the first one is a bit older since it is a sliding box camera):

My Flickr

For the ones without bellows, having sliding box instead, people are asking outrageous prices and oddly enough finding buyers for them! I think I will stay with this one for the sake having a sample from the wet plate era. But I am not myself in the wet plate mood that seems to grow nowadays. I made wood frame to support a Linhof back and with that I can shoot 13x18 cm film or dry plates.

Name:	CollodiumCamera08.jpg 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	234250